Talk

Advanced search

Long List Man Booker 2011

(5 Posts)
greedygoose Sun 04-Sep-11 09:52:34

Just wondering if anyone has read any yet, and any thoughts? Quite fancy reading Alan Hollinghurst...

aspinall Sat 24-Sep-11 22:05:09

Hi, just taken a look on Amazon at the shortlist. Quite fancy The Sisters Brothers,which has got great reviews...and also Pigeon English, but not sure if that one will upset me !!!

BorderBinLiner Tue 04-Oct-11 18:58:59

I'm ploughing through them.

Derby Day - this wears it's historical research heavily. I felt quite tired reading this

A Cupboard Full of Coats - very good and a gripping tale

The Testament of Jessie Lamb - not perfect but thought provoking

Gigondas Tue 04-Oct-11 19:04:51

Alan hollinghurst was quite good in parts but trouble is with episodic books is quite often you get episodes that arent as good - still worth reading

bamboozled Wed 05-Oct-11 14:44:40

During the summer holidays I tried to read my way through the long list before the short list was announced but it was a bit ambitious!
Pigeon Englist was outstanding - sad but probably something we should all read after we have tucked up our little lovelies in our nice houses to realised how very very lucky we are..
Enjoyed the Hollinghurst but it is VERY long
Cupboard full of coats was excellent
The Sisters Brothers is good - more of a mans read I think , it played slowly in my mind with Clint Eastwood as the starring role.
Half Blood Blues about a mixed race german musician in Nazi occupied France was really really good
Snowdrop was a great read too...
After that I realised that the children were eating jaffa cakes for breakfast, the dogs hadn't been walked for weeks and my house had turned into a pit so needed to get my nose out of books for a while!
Has anyone read the Julian Barnes?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now