Talk

Advanced search

Sweet Valley Confidential. (Think ive grown out of chick lit now)

(4 Posts)
carernotasaint Mon 29-Aug-11 00:38:00

I read this recently because i was a big fan of the Sweet Valley High books back in the "80s. It was a nice easy read but the twins should really be 43 now not 27. I read it more for nostalgias sake really. Im not usually into chick lit (except for Adele Parks) and i much prefer a good thriller. I think ive grown out of chick lit now. What do you other ladies prefer.
A good thriller.(i love Nikki French.)
A Sophie Kinsella/Harriet Evans type book.
Or a bit of historical intrigue like Philippa Gregory or Suzannah Dunn.

Penelope1980 Mon 29-Aug-11 08:12:26

I don't think that Sweet Valley Confidential was good chick lit! I thought it was OK, but rather than feeling like I'd outgrown chick lit while reading it, I just realised I'd outgrown Sweet Valley. Which, on reflection, is probably a good thing given how long ago I read it! I still read across genres, and just like variety and not to read too many similar books in a short space of time, whatever they are about. I have discovered Lee Child and similar books in recent years though which I like - not sure what you call those?

DillyTante Mon 29-Aug-11 08:15:57

Sweet Valley Confidential was just a really awful book! And i was a die hard SVH fan!

carernotasaint Mon 29-Aug-11 15:43:34

Dilly Tante i quite agree. It was terrible. And back in the "80s i was crazy about SVH and simply had to get the new book when it came out every month. If i remember rightly a new one used to come out on the first Thursday of the month. I remember me and my best schoolfriend racing all the way into town in our lunch hour to get it and it was a forty min walk there and back so God knows how we managed to clear it in an hour there and back and stopping off at a chippy on the way too. Happy days!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now