Talk

Advanced search

How do you choose what book to buy/read next?

(8 Posts)
BsshBossh Sun 28-Aug-11 17:40:21

Recommendation from friends? Reviews in newspapers/magazines? Seeing people read a certain book on your commute?

For me it's largely reviews in magazines or the weekend papers but I really find the Amazon (People who bought this book also bought...) function very influential. I also rely a lot on staff table picks in two of my most frequented book shops (Daunts and Waterstone's in Piccadilly).

What about you?

Ilovedaintynuts Sun 28-Aug-11 21:32:21

Mine is also largely reviews in papers/magazines. I peruse Waterstones regularly. I also find the recommendation button on the kindle app I have has resulted in me buying a lot of books!

I also buy books by authors I find I enjoy. I also read all the 'popular' books as I like knowing what everyone else is reading.

mixedmamameansbusiness Sat 03-Sep-11 20:18:41

Reviews usually - I just add everything that sounds interesting to my numerous Amazon wish lists and read the reviews to get a feel.

I flit around in Waterstones A LOT and just see if anything takes my fancy. I do sometimes go for film books which is how I discovered Louis de Bernieres (just from the hype of the film, I have not actually watched it - well half). The Notebook I also read this way.

piebald Sat 03-Sep-11 20:38:27

Often by whats in the charity sale--its a good way of finding new authors

tillyfernackerpants Sat 03-Sep-11 22:17:27

I use my library a lot for authors I haven't read before, especially with genres I don't usually go for.

Agree that the Amazon reviews are useful, I also use websites like Read It Swap it and GreenMetropolis for getting second hand books.

But my main way is from friends who also read a lot, we tend to share recommendations and books.

DazR Sun 04-Sep-11 16:50:49

I have had a really great summer reading books recommended on Mumsnet - so thank you ladies!!

MrsRobertDuvall Sun 04-Sep-11 16:57:01

Definitely the Amazon recommendations, plus magazine and newspaper reviews.(Daily Mail is quite goodwink)
If I like an author I will read all their books.
I go the library every week and usually grab a couple from their quick choice shelves for a non taxing read.

ilikethesun Sun 04-Sep-11 17:13:04

Amazon recommends are a must.

Mumnet always helpful.

Also friends and family recommends.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now