Talk

Advanced search

'The Book of Human Skin' by Michelle Lovric?

(4 Posts)
IreadthereforeIam Tue 23-Aug-11 10:30:14

Has anyone read this? I'm really struggling with it, and I was hoping that someone will come and tell me to persevere - it gets better!! With so many characters in it telling their own stories, I thought there wouldn't be a chance of it boring me, but it seems to flit around too much, and I find myself trying to rush through each narrator to get to the next one. I'm on p111 and it's annoying me.

It's a library book - I could just take it back (I hate to give up though!)

pink4ever Wed 31-Aug-11 15:51:01

I read it as was reading along with the tv book club. Was unsure after flicking through it in shop but after hearing the rave reviews it got on the programme I decided to buy it.
I was dissapointed. I think it was a very good idea for a book but like you didnt like the constant flitting between characters. I also rushed to finish it to try and see how they all tied up.
To sum up-not a bad book but not a great one. Worth persevering?-not sure.

javo Thu 01-Sep-11 15:33:28

I really liked this book but did struggle for the first few chapters. I also enjoyed certain characters stories more than others. I liked the way all the stories did tie together in the end. I 've kept the book, rathet then sending to the charity shop - so it was worth it for me. However, if it's not grabbing you by now- then just take it back - life's too short. I recently perservered to the bitter end with jacob De Zoet and really wished I hadn't.

IreadthereforeIam Thu 01-Sep-11 20:10:33

Well I persevered, and whilst I'm glad I made it to the end (and enjoyed it to some extent), I don't know whether I would do the same again! I hate to give up though. I wish I could've just put it down, but at least it wasn't a complete let down, I suppose!! Daft, eh?! I do think I need some light reading now, though...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now