Talk

Advanced search

Is there anyone like the great Georgette Heyer?

(27 Posts)
ComradeJing Thu 18-Aug-11 12:57:47

i do enjoy romance books especially regency ones but I can't seem to find any that don't include improbable sex, historical inaccuracies and general nonsense. GH is my kind of writer for regency. Can anyone suggest something or someone similar?

Failing that any good romance books to recommend?

(ignores the fact that I post mostly on the feminism section)

ComradeJing Thu 18-Aug-11 12:58:19

Oh and modern romance can have as much sex as you like :D

KurriKurri Thu 18-Aug-11 13:22:43

I don't read many other authors in this genre, but I love Georgette Heyer, - she's brilliant.

I suppose Jane Austen is the ultimate regency romance novelist grin

I was going to suggest Anya Seton, Mary Stewart, or Victoria Holt, - not specifically regency, but some good stories in historical settings IIRC.

A quick google produced this I clicked on 'favourite plots' - there's loads of suggestions, - a lot I've never heard of, but might give you some ideas smile

bran Thu 18-Aug-11 13:40:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

neversaydie Thu 18-Aug-11 14:41:00

Try Lois McMaster Bujold - it is sci fi but she quotes heyer as an influence, and certainly Shards of Honour, Komarr and A Civil Campaign are all very definately romances. And, in places, very funny!

neversaydie Thu 18-Aug-11 14:56:14

Elizabeth Peters is also good fun

VenetiaLanyon Thu 18-Aug-11 15:40:11

You can't beat GH; suspect she will never be equalled due to the unusual combination of academic rigour and endless warmth and humour. Sigh. Am currently re-reading again....

sunshinenanny Thu 18-Aug-11 19:55:14

I read all Georgette Heyer years ago There are a lot of historical ones and range from quite serious Regency detective stories such as Cousin Kate to more light hearted fare. She did research her books well so the historical details and language of the day are correct and in context. The books are very enjoyable and I think still in print. Regency Buck, The Devils Cub and An infamous army are all linked by families and events. Sprig Muslin, The Foundling, Venetia {my personal favourite) There are too many titles to mention here but do ask at the library or bookshops.

Marion Chesney is another author and there are lots more I can't think of off hand I'll try to think of a few more and come back.

sunshinenanny Thu 18-Aug-11 19:59:37

Yes Venetia.anyon I've read the books at least twice over the years and still dip in now and again.

Dorisnextdoor Thu 18-Aug-11 20:07:15

Message withdrawn

CDMforever Tue 23-Aug-11 20:14:38

I really must read some Georgette Heyer!

I keep hearing amazing things about her on MN but first heard of her after my DD was born because we named her.....Arabella.

Which GH would be a good one to start with?

gloriana Tue 23-Aug-11 20:31:40

LOVE Georgette Heyer - just such good stories and some of them are so funny (support characters in Friday's Child had me crying with laughter). I started with Regency Buck (due to a MN thread about best GH heroes!). Also love These Old Shades and sequel Devil's Cub.

A good modern writer would be Eloisa James (who has written lots of Regency but I love her Duchess series) - I've just read a Kiss at Midnight which is a retelling of the Cinderella story but still quite funny and manages to have a nice, feisty heroine.

SuePurblybilt Tue 23-Aug-11 20:33:31

Eloisa James or Julia Quinn are Regency Lite but a good read.

verlainechasedrimbauds Tue 23-Aug-11 20:40:22

I've read and re-read so many Georgette Heyer novels (often refer to them as "flu" books - a sort of literary comfort blanket). I liked the dashing heroes when I was younger but now prefer the slightly less predictable ones (only slightly less, mind you wink) like Cotillion or A Civil Contract.

CDMforever Tue 23-Aug-11 20:46:09

Please tell, which GH book would be a good one to start with?

verlainechasedrimbauds Tue 23-Aug-11 21:49:45

Hmm> Possibly Venetia? Or Frederica? Or The Grand Sophy?

I think I'd plump for Venetia...

But then again...
The Nonesuch, Friday's Child, Sprig Muslin, The Corinthian

I hope you enjoy them!

StantonLacy Tue 23-Aug-11 21:53:06

Obviously a huge fan of Heyer...grin

On a previous thread, someone recommended Jude Morgan as a fairly reasonable regency/Heyer style substitute. I reserved some from the library and I did really like some of them, in particular "A Little Folly" and "An Accomplished Woman". "Indiscretion" wasn't half bad, either.

I think some of the Regency cash ins can be dreadful (Nicola Cornick for example) full of crap sex scenes and dreadful dialogue - my Mum buys them by the shedload and cannot understand why I despair !

I must admit there were a few times when I felt that there was a bit too much name dropping and Regency cant going on to set the tone (Almacks, doing it too brown etc) but once I'd got past that, I did really enjoy quite a few of the Morgan ones.

Also, as far as I can remember, no 'improbable sex' ...grin

LadyDamerel Tue 23-Aug-11 21:58:56

I'd start with Frederica or Sylvester, personally. Venetia is my absolute favourite but doesn't have the range of characters that Sylvester or Frederica have.

If you like a bit of mystery alongside your romance then The Unknown Ajax or The Quiet Gentleman are excellent.

Mind you, every GH fan you ask will give you a different answer so you may find it tricky to make a decision grin.

CDMforever Tue 23-Aug-11 22:08:59

Will opt for Frederica I think.

Just love the name!

ComradeJing Wed 24-Aug-11 06:20:03

Thank you all! I'm going to do a bit of a Kindle shop later.

I just hate regency sex scenes where you think, "now come on. Would she honestly ruin herself like that?"

Favourite GH's are Grand Sophy, Frederica and Arabella. Oh and Regency Buck and black sheep. <swoons a bit>

Most of them are bloody brilliant though!

FreeButtonBee Wed 24-Aug-11 20:40:28

I LOVE cotillion, and Friday's child. Those are my unbeatables.

CMOTdibbler Wed 24-Aug-11 20:56:23

Grand Sophy, Venetia, and Frederica are my absolute faves too !

lucysnowe Thu 25-Aug-11 12:57:49

I can second the Jude Morgan recommendation - very cute and funny books with a little bit more sexy banter (tho not more sex) than GH.

AitchTwoOh Thu 25-Aug-11 12:59:23

grand sophy and sprig muslin are my favourites.

talkingnonsense Thu 25-Aug-11 19:04:18

These old shades was my first- love it. Would recommend grand sophy or Fridays child for a starting place.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now