Talk

Advanced search

Help me find a new book for my Kindle

(22 Posts)
thesortinghat Tue 16-Aug-11 21:01:57

Just read Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and When Will There Be Good News by Kate Atkinson, any suggestions for something new?

UsingMainlySpoons Tue 16-Aug-11 21:04:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

thesortinghat Tue 16-Aug-11 21:14:41

Thanks UMS, the Emma Kennedy ones sound quite relevant as we're off camping next week grin

thesortinghat Tue 16-Aug-11 21:17:31

Any thoughts on One Day by David Nichols? Its the best seller on the Kindle

UsingMainlySpoons Tue 16-Aug-11 22:10:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 17-Aug-11 09:05:22

tsh One Day is one of the first books I read on my Kindle and I absolutely loved it, and you could read it before the film comes out next week (well assuming you aren't a deathly slow reader like me grin)

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 17-Aug-11 09:05:26

tsh One Day is one of the first books I read on my Kindle and I absolutely loved it, and you could read it before the film comes out next week (well assuming you aren't a deathly slow reader like me grin)

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 17-Aug-11 09:06:22

Really don't know why my post has appeared twice sorry blush.

thesortinghat Wed 17-Aug-11 09:27:50

Thanks JJJ, I am deathly slow now I have two dc I just don't get the time I used to. However, that also means I get to the cinema about once a year so will have time before its released on DVD.

Didn't even know about the film version either.

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 17-Aug-11 09:37:09

Think the DVD should be out in time for Christmas so hopefully that would give you something to aim for smile.

Have you seen this thread too? Thought it might give you some more inspiration.

thesortinghat Wed 17-Aug-11 09:44:45

Thanks JJJ

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 17-Aug-11 09:52:21

The Botteccelli Secret was very good too. Not going to win any literary prizes but I found it very easy to read and entertaining.

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 17-Aug-11 10:13:54

Think I might download The Stepford Wives next.

If you like The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, have you read any of the Wallander books?

Catslikehats Fri 19-Aug-11 16:15:46

I liked One day a lot - and a friend of mine who never likes anything really enjoyed it.

I am really struggling to find stuff myself - when I first got it I downloaded a lot of the free books. I hadn't previously realised that there was a reason why they were only E books.

ggirl Fri 19-Aug-11 16:19:14

I am reading The Midwives Confession and enjoying it , it's not as I expected.

Avoided it for ages as I thought it was actual memoirs of a midwife but it's not at all.

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 20-Aug-11 08:30:28

That's good to know ggirl as I thought it was a memoir book too.

TheQueenofDenial I've read One Day too and really enjoyed it as well. So looking forward to seeing the film too, is it out next week? Have a feeling though that I may be let down.

SJR38 Sat 20-Aug-11 16:02:00

I second UsingMainlySpoons - 'the help' by kathryn stockett - loved it, read it in about 3 days straight.
Its gets over 500 5star recommendations on Amazon.

elkiedee Tue 23-Aug-11 13:24:08

The others in the Dragon Tattoo trilogy are not that expensive either if you liked it. I downloaded the first two Camilla Lackbergs in one ebook last month but it's gone up. Roseanna by Maj Sjowall and Per Wahloo is the first of a classic 60s detective series and is only 99p.

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 23-Aug-11 16:51:18

elkiedee did you see Nordic Noir on Sunday night too?

I downloaded a Camilla Lackberg for 99p and read it on holiday but noticed they've gone up too. What did you think of it?

Catslikehats Tue 23-Aug-11 17:04:55

I don't live in the UK and had no idea that they were makIng a film of one day.

I also recommend The Help, very easy read.

elkiedee Tue 23-Aug-11 18:05:43

I didn't see it on Sunday but will try and find it tonight. I liked The Ice Princess ok, though not as much as the 1960s Martin Beck series. I wished Erika would stop fretting about her weight. My Kindle download was of the first 2 books together, cheaper than either separately. So I still have The Preacher on my Kindle and nos 3 and 5 in paperback to read, will look out for no 4 when I get through 2 & 3.

There's quite a lot of Scandinavian crime at fairly low prices on Kindle, but it all seems to be books from the middle of a series.

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 24-Aug-11 11:06:33

Think there was an Italian Noir on last night although I was fast asleep by then. Will try and watch it on iplayer in the week.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now