Talk

Advanced search

What has your Book Club read so far this year?

(17 Posts)
JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 16-Aug-11 19:43:01

Our seem to be getting a bit samey so am looking for a bit of inspiration, thinking of when its next my turn to choose.

Come and tell me what you've read and what you've loved.

tillyfernackerpants Tue 16-Aug-11 20:41:23

What kind of things have you been reading?

So far we've had Wolf Hall, War of the Worlds (sparked probably one our most interesting discussions), a Dorothy Koomson book (snore, no-one liked it!), North and South (Elizabeth Gaskill), a Peter Robinson book (another snore), The White Queen and the Duchess of Devonshire (v good, much better than the film).

Our club is slightly different in that its done through my local library so it depends on what sets they have but we always try to pick a genre or give a couple of ideas of what we would like to read.

Hth

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 17-Aug-11 08:58:26

Thanks Tilly there are some good suggestions in there. I've got half way through The White Queen and really must finish it. Quite fancy the Duchess of Devonshire too as I loved the film.

Anyone else?

Lightshines Wed 17-Aug-11 15:01:41

This is the book that provoked the most discussion when we read it - Veronika decides to Die

What have you read recently, so we don't suggest the same things again?!

Other books with strong discussion topics might be:

The Other Hand

The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 17-Aug-11 17:04:49

Don't really want to reveal too much about what we've read as I think I may out myself very easily, but thank you for sharing the books you've enjoyed this year.

Anyone else want to say what they've read so far this year?

Shanghaidiva Thu 18-Aug-11 14:11:05

We have read the following:
Little Bee - chris Cleave
Cutting for Stone - Abraham Verghese - superb
The thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet - David Mitchell - everyone hated it!
The Reluctant fundamentalist - Hamid
The Spare Room - Helen Garner (Gardener) - good response
Infidel - Ayaan Hirsi Ali
Have the Hunger Games trilogy as our October read.

tillyfernackerpants Thu 18-Aug-11 17:51:06

Shanghaidiva, your club has read some really different books! This is the only problem we've had with the library, our group is made up of women so for a while they seemed to think we'd only want to read Dorothy Koomson or Jodi Picoult type of books. We had to get a bit shirty with them in the end grin

We have also read some young adult books, two of them were Before I Die and A Gathering Light, again some interesting discussion around them

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 19-Aug-11 09:06:27

Glad you got shirty with them tilly, my interest would wane pretty quickly if I had to read those types of books and discuss them every month.

Next month we're reading Stone's Fall by Iain Pears, haven't started it yet though so can't comment on it smile

ElectricSoftParade Fri 19-Aug-11 09:11:37

JJJ don't think you meant to link that?! Haha! Although would prove interesting reading.

Our group has only had one meeting and has started off very light and easy - Poor Little Bitch Girl by Jackie Collins! I am hoping the choices will improve quickly!

ElectricSoftParade Fri 19-Aug-11 09:13:31

Sorry, I got a bit over-excited and used far too many exclaimation marks. I don't really talk like that, it would be far too tiring.

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 19-Aug-11 09:48:44

Ha ha, think that would prove an interesting discussion grin. Now we're definitely not reading that, we're reading this.

Take it you're not enjoying the Jackie Collins then Electric smile

And I haven't even started drinking yet blushgrin

munstersmum Wed 24-Aug-11 10:37:35

Started early took my dog - Atkinson
Long song - Levy
Juliet naked - Hornby
Goodnight Vienna
Art of racing in the rain - Stein
three cups of tea

Next up Jar City - Indridason picked from another MN thread (our library service holds multiple copies)

MidnightHag Wed 24-Aug-11 15:53:30

It's really good to get suggestions from other groups; thanks, OP.

Brooklyn-Colm Toibin
Secret Life of Bees (v. popular)
The Moonstone- Wilkie Collins
Just Kids - Patti Smith
The End of the Affair- Graeme Green (v. good for discussion)
The Millstone- Margaret Drabble
The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox
Dear Fatty- Dawn French
South Riding
Lady Chatterley's Lover (surprisingly popular)
Blood River
Before I Go to Sleep
Dissolution

MidnightHag Wed 24-Aug-11 15:58:08

OOh also, A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mystery: V worthwhile.

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 25-Aug-11 12:28:16

These lists are fantastic and seem much more interesting than the books we've been ploughing through.

LizzyLiz Thu 25-Aug-11 20:29:39

Talking about Jane Austen in Baghdad
Midnight's Children
Rebecca
Mansfield Park
One Day

not good with author names, sorry!

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 25-Aug-11 21:00:15

Are you going to see the One Day film Lizzie?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now