Talk

Advanced search

Post apocalyptic fiction again

(59 Posts)

A while back I had a huge thread, with lots of people kindly recommending dystopian or post-apocalyptic fiction.

Last night I read 'Children Of The Dust' - a 1980s children's book about life after a nuclear war. Unfortunately, I was v disappointed by it because I felt that the writer was so busy labouring her anti-nuclear point that she forgot about making the book interesting and her characters multi-dimensional. I thought this was a real shame because I liked the different generations structure and the way the different key characters linked but it was very clunky with lots of pseudo-religious/Pagan stuff getting in the way of the story.

Have now started 'Riddley Walker' and thus far am finding it pretty hard work. It's not so much the language but all the 'tellings' and the 'Eusa' stuff that I'm just not terribly taken by yet. I can see that it's clever but it's not making me want to devour it in one sitting.

Any opinions? Just don't give any spoilers on Riddley Walker yet please! smile

Hellishday Tue 16-Aug-11 20:40:48

Try then by LEsley Glaister.
I've just read it.

Thank you - want to tell me more? smile

jeee Tue 16-Aug-11 20:52:12

I think I recommended The Hunger Games to you, didn't I? If I didn't, read it.

TaudrieTattoo Tue 16-Aug-11 20:53:29

The Stand by Stephen King. Just read the extended version, and adored every page.

A slog, but worth it.

I'm still wanting to read Hunger games but the library have never got it - all those pesky kids must keep getting it out!

The Stand - one of my favourite books ever.

Hellishday Tue 16-Aug-11 21:12:22

It's set in post apocalyptic London, about a woman who has memory loss. It is quite shocking at the end....had me tin tears. Not a long book, but very tightly written.
It's new...out in hard back.

jeee Tue 16-Aug-11 21:14:42

I hate it when those youngsters think that they should have priority over children's books

Thanks Hellish.

gah to children getting books from the library - shouldn't they all be playing Call Of Duty or raiding JD Sports instead?

CarmelitaMiggs Tue 16-Aug-11 21:20:45

Julie Myerson wrote a book called Then which came out a few months ago.... plot sounds v similar to L Glaister?

I really rate The Children of Men by PD James -- unputdownable. Forget the rather ropey Clive Owen film.

Thank you. 'Then' looks interesting, although isn't she the writer who cashed in on her son's problems rather?

I've never got into PD James - is Children Of Men different to her others?

NotQuiteSoDesperate Tue 16-Aug-11 22:15:38

Does help when you are a children's librarian, because you get to read all of the Young Adult books first wink

smile

Hellishday Wed 17-Aug-11 10:06:54

Sorry it is Julie Myerson. I have been reading Lesley Glaister as well.......(too much wine)

elkiedee Wed 17-Aug-11 12:22:39

I was a bit wary of The Hunger Games but was/am tempted by it being on offer at a low price for Kindle at the moment, if that's any good to anyone.

Have you read Octavia Butler's two Parable books? The first one's brilliant and I still have to read the second.

Not heard of those so will have a Google. Thank you. smile

I still haven't finished Riddley Walker. I don't dislike it, I'm just not finding it holding my attention for very long at a time. Should finish it in the bath tonight!

Moulesfrites Wed 17-Aug-11 19:01:01

what about Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood

Read it and the follow up, After The Flood (which I liked much better than O&C). Thanks though.

teddies Wed 17-Aug-11 20:49:00

On the Beach by Nevil Shute
Z for Zachariah by Robert C O'Brien (children's really)

Read both of these - both v good.

I STILL haven't finished Riddley Walker, despite nearly an hour in the bath - it's taking me forever!

Certain phrases in it have a strange beauty and I like his narration; I'm just not really enjoying all the 'shows' and 'tells' and 'stories' much.

neversaydie Wed 17-Aug-11 22:35:49

Other ones to try are The Chrsalids by John Wyndham and The Weathermonger by Peter Dickinson. The second on is a children's/YA book, and none the worse for it.

I found Ridley Walker VERY hard work!

Read most of John W's. Not tried Peter D - have picked his up in the library a couple of times but not brought them home. Will now do so!

mamalino Wed 17-Aug-11 22:46:57

The Road, Cormac McCarthy?

mamalino Wed 17-Aug-11 22:49:54

Actually if you have had a thread already I bet it's been suggested before! Sorry, dont normally read/post in this section but always think I should as I adore reading.

Read it! It irritated me tbh but lots of people really rate it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now