Talk

Advanced search

'The Savage Garden' should I continue

(4 Posts)
Worksitoutwithapencil Mon 15-Aug-11 19:08:47

I have started reading 'The Savage Garden' by Mark Mills and it is really not gripping me, I am trying to decide whether to continue or not.

I am just under 1/4 of the way through, I don't hate it there is just nothing that is making me want to pick it up and continue reading but I often get more interested in books as I get nearer the end.

I really hate starting a book and not finishing it but I have recently forced myself to finish 2 books that I was not enjoying and then really regretted it as I hated the endings.

So has anyone read The Savage Garden and if so does it get more interesting, is it worth persevering with?

Thanks

GrendelsMum Mon 15-Aug-11 20:46:08

I'd describe it as being okay. To be honest, I was hoping for great things, and actually found it quite disappointing. I did try to palm my copy off on an art-historian cousin, but I don't think he read it either.

It does get more interesting, though - why not skim read until something happens (the plot with the Italian resistance during the war, for example) and then decide whether or not to finish?

Worksitoutwithapencil Mon 15-Aug-11 21:09:49

Good idea, I have not done much skim reading but I will give it a go.

Thinking about it, it sounds like a good test, if it is interesting enough I will probably find myself reading without having to force myself, if I find that I am hardly reading any of it I can put it down without feeling so guilty, thanks smile

GrendelsMum Mon 15-Aug-11 21:30:20

smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now