Talk

Advanced search

Caitlin Moran: if you are a mumsnetter, can I just say your book is a great read?

(17 Posts)
deaconblue Sat 13-Aug-11 20:56:52

Well, I've said it anyway. Read on hols, will have to reread as I read it far too greedily smile

KatharineClifton Sun 02-Oct-11 22:34:04

It really is! I loved it.

Hassled Sun 02-Oct-11 22:38:23

She certainly used to be one - don't know if that's still the case.
I was a bit "meh" re the book myself - I feel like I've missed something. Like I don't get a punchline.

MegBusset Sun 02-Oct-11 22:40:49

I was really underwhelmed by the book, I have to say - wish she'd stuck to the biographical stuff, which was pretty funny, without shoehorning in the lame 'feminism' bits.

KatharineClifton Sun 02-Oct-11 22:45:09

Was she really? Using what name?

LeBOF Sun 02-Oct-11 22:50:18

The feminism is the premise of the book- the autobiographical stuff is the frame it hangs on. Hardly shoehorning, from what I can see.

I don't agree with her every point, but I thought it wad a pacey entertaining read, and a good introduction to feminism for readers who aren't that familiar.

KatharineClifton Sun 02-Oct-11 23:09:35

I think the saem as LeBOF. I thought it was aimed at younger women than me, and wish it had been available to me as a teenager. That and I Am An Emotional Creature would of set me up nicely smile

I loved the parts regarding her family, coming from a large family myself. Didn't particularly like the two chapters on being a parent/not being a parent.

aramass Mon 03-Oct-11 08:06:40

I could imagine it being shouted out like the 'come on girls!!!' at the beginning of Madonna's 'Express Yourself'.

I found the exclamation marks really annoying, the messages really patronizing and it was definitely aimed at the younger fake tan and wkd generation. I also found it a bit smug the way she kept name dropping and harping on about what a crazy card she is.

Didn't enjoy it at all. Caitlin comes across as much more likeable in her columns than this book.

TanteRose Mon 03-Oct-11 08:16:48

loved the book

also loved the digested read by John Crace in the Guardian grin

LeBOF Mon 03-Oct-11 08:21:49

That's hilarious grin

TanteRose Mon 03-Oct-11 08:23:27

innit, tho grin

AnnetteProfit Mon 03-Oct-11 08:44:31

Interestingly, i thought it was shit.
i left it on holiday.

Like being trapped in a room with a showy offy 8 year old

AnnetteProfit Mon 03-Oct-11 08:51:33

and this from YOU shoppingbags

i am distraught tbh

deaconblue Mon 03-Oct-11 20:23:15

Really? I thought she was funny, loved the chapter when she gave birth too. Agree it works better as an autobiography than a guide to 'being a woman'

deaconblue Mon 03-Oct-11 20:25:30

P.s Annette you never like the books I like- at least there were no forrin names in this one!

alibubbles Tue 04-Oct-11 13:26:31

I threw it in the bin on the beach as all the pages fell out from the heat, I don't think that I missed anything by not reading the missing pages. A load of self laudatory tripe!

litlady Wed 05-Oct-11 22:24:02

It was wonderful and when my daughter is a teenager I will give it to her. I loved it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now