Talk

Advanced search

Anyone else love Robin Hobb?

(22 Posts)
Skeptical Wed 10-Aug-11 16:51:03

Just read tge Farseer trilogy again for the second and I loved it just as much. Anyone else a fan?

I hope they make a TV series, it worked for Game of Thrones.

Skeptical Wed 10-Aug-11 16:52:27

woah that didn't make much sense, typing one handed with DS trying to "help"!

meant to say, Just read the Farseer trilogy again for the second time and I loved it just as much. Anyone else a fan?

VivaLeBeaver Wed 10-Aug-11 16:54:49

I've not read any of his but loved game of thrones books and want to read a bit more similar stuff. Do you think I'd like Robin hobb?

Skeptical Wed 10-Aug-11 17:00:28

Yes, best fantasy writer by far. Beware of the books that aren't set in the original world though as they are awful (can't remember what they are called). There are 4 sets of trilogies so far, so loads to get stuck into, you get so drawn into it though it won't seem like enough. Start with the farseer trilogy.

I haven't read Game of Thrones but have watched a bit of the TV series, and it is quite similar, I can't imagine anyone who likes Game of Thrones not liking Robin Hobb.

sillybillies Wed 10-Aug-11 17:12:56

Yes loved the Farseer Trilogy. He also wrote the ones about the Liveships which I thought were great. I think there's a second trilogy involving the main character from the Farseer (fitz? read them a couple of years ago so a bit rusty). Its on my to read list.

I'm currently working my way through the game of thrones series (book 4) and enjoyed the first 3 books but the pace seems to have slowed and I'm not enjoying book 4 as much.

lionheart Wed 10-Aug-11 17:16:06

Yes, wonderful, especially Fitz.

HoneyPablo Wed 10-Aug-11 17:16:11

I have read some and really enjoyed it.
I would love to see The Dark Tower by Stephen King made into a tv series. It would make me very happy indeed.

pointythings Wed 10-Aug-11 21:04:02

I really liked the Liveships trilogy, haven't read any of the Farseer stuff but it's on the to-do list. I've also read most of the stuff she wrote as Megan Lindholm - also very good. She's just an all-round fab writer.

If you like your fantasy complex and interesting you should also consider C.S Friedman's Coldfire trilogy - Black Sun Rising, When True Night Falls and Crown of Shadows. Beautifully written, complex and believable characters, incredible world building.

StantonLacy Wed 10-Aug-11 21:17:33

Oh yes, love Robin Hobbs books, although couldn't really get on with the Soldier Son trilogy. The Fitz stuff is great, though, isn't it ?

HoneyPablo a film project of The Dark Tower was recently shelved - would you believe they had cast Javier Bardem as Roland ?! Not quite how I had imagined him.

And also reading/watching Game of Thrones, which IMO is fantastic!

MarkMarkMarkMark Thu 11-Aug-11 08:07:00

One of the best writers in modern fantasy. I loved her (12 books worth of love!) before she gave me the best ever cover quote for my own book - now I love her even more smile

Check out the books she publishes as Megan Lindholm too.

lionheart Thu 11-Aug-11 11:27:32

Are they as good, Mark?

gastrognome Thu 11-Aug-11 12:23:21

Yes I think she is the best fantasy writer out there. Though I really didn't get on with the soldier son books as the protagonist was just so, well, creepy. Loved the Farseer books though. And eagerly awaiting her next novel!

stealthsquiggle Thu 11-Aug-11 12:24:58

Having read both, I would say if you like Game of Thrones you will like Robin Hobb. DH bought them all and I have read them (and then friend borrowed and read them all as well!)

glitterkitty Thu 11-Aug-11 12:28:59

So if you love Robin Hobb Game of Thrones is good? GOT was on TV wasnt it- I missed that. Are there books too?

Agree Soldier Son was weird, the rest are fantastic though. Waiting for the last one in the Dragon series now (and hoping for more Fitz/Fool action)

stealthsquiggle Thu 11-Aug-11 14:43:12

glitterkitty - that is the order I read them in and yes, Game of Thrones books predate the TV series. I would say try one first before you invest in the whole lot - the bloodshed and general gore is signficantlt more than in Robin Hobb books.

and yes, Soldier Son was thoroughly wierd and somewhat self-indulgent.

Is Robin H better than Game Of Thrones because I've just read the latter and, whilst I liked odd bits of it, I didn't think the actual writing was v good?

Re The Dark Tower - that guy they'd initially got lined up for Roland was just wrong. He looked short and frog-like to me and Roland is tall and lean and sort of haunted looking, I think - oh and v handsome in a rugged and tired sort of way, of course! smile

PervyMuskrat Thu 11-Aug-11 22:03:28

Oh, I love the Robin Hobb books (although agree that the Soldier Son trilogy isn't great) ! I've bought the Assassin's Apprentice for loads of my friends and have recently got DM into them now. Not sure I think it'd work as a tv series though - it seems a bit too delicate for the tv treatment somehow.

Mark & Pointythings, I agree that the Megan Lindholm stuff is good too - have you read The Inheritance, which is half Robin Hobb & half Megan Lindholm ?

Remus, that's how I pictured Roland too!

Earthymama Sat 13-Aug-11 21:50:55

Wonderful books, Fitz is so dear to my heart!
Nighteyes......need I say more?
Well, yes. Robin Hobb's books are an excellent read, you become entranced and the world she creates is so real.
Do try them, you will love them too smile

foolserrand Sat 13-Aug-11 21:55:46

Me me me! As if the name doesn't give it away. I cried at the end of the second farseer trilogy. It's rare for a book to make me do that. Am oh so slightly in love with the Fool.

foolserrand Sat 13-Aug-11 22:01:02

Earthymama Nighteyes! There just aren't words for him.

candr Mon 15-Aug-11 18:39:10

My DH has these and I started reading them. Have now read all of them and it is great as I can buy him the new ones as a gift which I also get to enjoy. He was so sweet he actually let me read them first as I am a fast reader and he takes months over big books like Hobbs. I really like Mark Antony series too which starts with The Pale Rider and there are 7 books in series (other world and our world characters)

mousesma Mon 15-Aug-11 18:53:37

Ah yes I have a special place in my heart for Fitz. The Tawny man trilogy picks up 15 years after the Farseer trilogy and is a must if you loved the first books.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now