Talk

Advanced search

Help me! I need more book ideas!

(17 Posts)
redheadbedhead Fri 05-Aug-11 12:04:52

I already posted this elsewhere but I think it's in the wrong place, so I'm posting again. Hope you can help!

Hello. Having been at home with morning sickness for two months I have got through a lot of books. And I'm starting to run out of ideas. My favourite books are by Jonathan Franzen / David Foster Wallace / American 20/21st century - but then again I also just read Caitlin Moran's How to be a Woman and thought it was great! And I love non-fiction books about the mind/brain/psychology ie Oliver Sacks.

I love the quality of writing and usually my favourite books are those with complex characters and family situations.

Can anyone help me with some more ideas? thanks so much!!

Frexylady Fri 05-Aug-11 15:35:38

You may have read it already, but I think The Time Traveler's Wife would be just your cup of tea.......

legalalien Fri 05-Aug-11 15:46:45

On the non-fiction front, perhaps Predictably Irrational by Dan Ariely (behavioural economics) or Bounce by Matthew Syed (which I am recommending to everyone at the moment, draws on some earlier works by Malcolm Gladwell which I subsequently went back and read (eg The Tipping Point).

don't know the US authors you mention but I am enjoying myself working through the works of Irish author Colm Tobin at present....

redheadbedhead Fri 05-Aug-11 17:36:52

thanks guys - have already read Time TW - great suggestion though! any others you think i'd like frexy?

haven't read either of the others so will look into them, thanks legal smile

IndridCold Fri 05-Aug-11 18:31:45

These are both British writers bit I would recommend Tim Pears In a Land of Plenty and Philip Hensher' Northern Clemency. Both of them are based around families growing up and I found both of them quite absorbing.

TeenageWildlife Sat 06-Aug-11 12:24:01

Privileges by Jonathan Dee. Ticks all the boxes you mentioned.

mrswoodentop Sat 06-Aug-11 13:08:24

Would second Tim Pears ,or how about th Olivia Manning Fortunes of War trilogy

Sam8082 Sat 06-Aug-11 16:52:37

If you like American literature I strongly recommend Truman Capote's "In Cold Blood", one of my all time favourite reads. The storyline's based on a real crime that was committed in the US in 1959 - but its no dry crime read, Capote really breathes life into his characters!

Sam8082 Sat 06-Aug-11 16:53:38

p.s. I hope the morning sickness has eased up

redheadbedhead Sat 06-Aug-11 18:00:18

thanks sam - a great book that I'm afraid I've already read. good suggestion though thanks!

chirpchirp Sat 06-Aug-11 19:15:18

Have you read A Million Little Pieces and My Friend Leonard by James Frey? They are somewhere inbetween fiction and non-fiction and made me cry my eyes out.

bagelmonkey Sat 06-Aug-11 19:21:47

Have you read I know this much is true by Wally Lamb?

bagelmonkey Sat 06-Aug-11 19:22:53

Or the alienist. Can't remember who it's by though

redheadbedhead Sat 06-Aug-11 19:28:50

haven't read any of those - will check them out. Wally Lamb has been recommended to me by someone else as well actually. thanks guys smile

chirpchirp Sat 06-Aug-11 19:43:07

Also my favourite ever book - Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes. I read it at least once a year and every time I love it more.

redheadbedhead Sat 06-Aug-11 19:49:14

oh yes, i bought that for my husband and read it after. lovely book.

pjwilliams Thu 11-Aug-11 13:17:19

I've just finished The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet by David Mitchell

It's a love story from 18th century Japan written by the author of the Cloud Atlas. The writing is fantastic he has a really original style, and I found the historical references really interesting.

I would really recommend it. the first few chapters are a bit heavy/slow but stick with it it's well worth it!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now