Talk

Advanced search

Best free books for Kindle?

(13 Posts)
nickchatname Tue 26-Jul-11 22:29:39

Firstly, sorry if this has been done before, but I can't find a thread on it. I've just bought myself a Kindle for my holidays, and having shelled out, am reluctant to shell out further on books. I love the classics but wouldn't turn my nose up at popular easy reads either. Any ideas on good titles to go for? Many thanks in advance.

Apocalypto Thu 28-Jul-11 10:07:04

have you tried searching the Kindle Store on Amazon with no search term entered and the results sorted by price, lowest to highest? You then get a few pages of books for £0.00.

If there's another way of getting free books onto a Kindle I'd love to know what it is / how it's done. If you Google "free text online" and an author's name, you can quite often find free stuff on places like Gutenberg.

Eg you can read all of George Orwell that way, and all of H P Lovecraft, if you like man-fish horror.

I an sure there is a way to copy stuff like that into a text file then email it to your Kindle address so it gets converted into a Kindle file. But ISTR at that point they stop being free, i.e. it costs.

nickchatname Thu 28-Jul-11 13:43:47

Thanks for the reply! I will give that a go, but being used to the ipad which gives you an option to browse all free books, I guess I'm spoilt!

elkiedee Thu 28-Jul-11 13:45:10

If you like crime fiction Dana Stabenow's A Cold Day for Murder is available free, and there's a top 100 free books.

Not free but there is a Kindle summer sale offering hundreds of books for 49p-£2.99, many at 99p each including some quite well known writers across a range of genres.

You can also just search the Kindle store for "classic" authors, particularly 19th century. I've downloaded a few 19th century children's books and a couple of Emile Zola novels.

Apocalypto Thu 28-Jul-11 18:27:46

if you're looking for a specific author you can search on the name then re-order by 'price: low to high', which puts the free stuff at the top.

What is a bit odd is that sometimes you get rogue results - if you search for bram stoker for example the first result returned is phantom of the opera, rather bafflingly......hoping this clunkiness will improve.

elkiedee Thu 28-Jul-11 18:36:09

I think this is because they include books that they think will also appeal as well as those by the author, and it looks odder when you ask it to display freebies first.

SecretSquirrels Thu 28-Jul-11 18:50:14

This website is good. You can sign up for e mails which let you know when new free books are out. Sometimes authors will have one only for a day as a promotion or loss leader. Beware though, there is a vast amount of rubbish on the free list, often thinly disguised religious stuff.
You can also track the price. Many books are a little more expensive on kindle but the price often falls.

Shoshe Thu 28-Jul-11 18:51:50

If you want to email me, at nanny 475 @ hotmail dot com and send me your free kindle address I can send you loads of books.

Also look here

nickchatname Fri 29-Jul-11 13:42:24

Thanks so much everyone - will check everything out. Shoshe, thank you, I have messaged you.

Shoshe Sat 30-Jul-11 11:27:00

I have emailed you some Danielle Steel, but have hundreds if you want to let me know what you would like.

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 06-Aug-11 20:24:07

Shoshe I'm a bit clueless on the free kindle address, is it just the name of my device then the address?

candr Mon 15-Aug-11 18:41:15

Don't know about free but there are some American websites which are really cheap. I got 115 books for £15.00, they came all on one disk.

SweetTheSting Thu 01-Sep-11 13:20:47

JJJ, my Kindle email address is found by going to 'Home -Menu - Settings' then it's on the second page. Not sure if all devices are the same.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now