Talk

Advanced search

The Somnambulist by Essie Fox

(4 Posts)
SilkStalkings Wed 20-Jul-11 09:37:04

Anyone read this gothic debut yet? Enjoyed it but it did irritate me. Every chapter started in the present, then had a flashback to just up to that point, then the story progressed a little further. But there was no change of verb tense. The whole chapter was told in the simple past, and it was an effort to work out what was flashback and what was not because she didn't say eg "I had woken early", just kept it as "I woke early" all the way through. Drove me mad! Am I being pedantic to want flashbacks in the past perfect?

SilkStalkings Thu 21-Jul-11 16:28:30

Oh and she throws in a rather sneaky twist at the end that I don't think was very fair, not a hint about it before.

FreddoBaggyMac Sun 24-Jul-11 07:58:42

It's on my amazon wishlist... but maybe I'll take it off now grin

elkiedee Thu 28-Jul-11 14:06:56

I enjoyed it (I had a review copy via Amazon's Vine program and have reviewed it there) - not perfect but a good read and I didn't notice changes in tenses.

I also don't remember any very sneaky plot twists

if you're not sure, Freddo, why not see if you can reserve a copy at the library or suggest it for purchase?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now