Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

A visit from the Good squad.... any good?

(10 Posts)
juicychops Mon 18-Jul-11 21:48:27

i was out today with a few hours to kill so walked into asda and grabbed this book off the shelf as the title intreagued me.

i have read the first 2 chapters. its a bit weird so far and a bit hard to get into so far.

what do others think of this book overall? hope ive not wasted my book choice!

qo Mon 18-Jul-11 21:53:23

Just read some reviews, looks like something I might be interested in giving a go

juicychops Mon 18-Jul-11 22:04:29

was meant to be GOON squad...whoops!

lalalonglegs Mon 18-Jul-11 22:26:41

It's a non-linear narrative. It all starts to make sense - the different people in different chapters have known each other at different stages of their lives - after a few chapters when you get used to the jumping backwards and forwards in time.

I thought it was great but very hard to define, stick with it.

gailforce1 Mon 18-Jul-11 22:44:19

It is one of the books chosen for Channel 4's book club and was reviewed last Saturday on the programme. The book sounded very interesting and one that I wil look out for. You may find more info on the programme's website.

pink4ever Tue 19-Jul-11 18:29:37

I also picked this up in the super market today but after skimming the first few pages I put it back again!. Have started a thread about the tv book club. Have read three of the titles so far-
Moonlight mile-good but predictable
The Lantern-a Rebecca rip off and again a predictable ending
Night road-hokum

Am going to get The Radleys and The hidden child to read next.

BabeRuthless Tue 19-Jul-11 20:43:55

Pink4eva - I didn't think much to Night Road either. I agreed with a lot of what they said on the programme, that it was melodramatic & purposefully pulled at your heartstrings. I also lost count of the amount of times a character "took a sharp intake of breath". In the end a bit to Jodi Picoult-esque for my taste.

Working my way through the other Dennis Lehane books before I read "moonlight mile" but I love what I've read so far. Really looking forward to The Radleys.

elkiedee Thu 28-Jul-11 14:35:04

I liked Goon Squad very much but the form and style is a bit different.

I need to catch up with the rest of Lehane's Patrick and Angie books before I read Moonlight Mile (I just bought all the TV Book Club books from the Book People). The Lackberg book is #5 in the series and I'm currently reading #1 on my Kindle (#1 and #2 are available as an ebook omnibus for £2.99, separately for £4.99 each! The Ice Princess/The Preacher). I'm quite enjoying it though I wish that one of the main characters would stop obsessing about her weight at great length.

RoundOrangeHead Thu 28-Jul-11 16:12:45

it's great, it won the Pulitzer don't ya know

pjwilliams Wed 03-Aug-11 12:12:46

I'm loving this book, the writing style is really original.

Just finished the Gargoyle a book that's a few years old now but again really enjoyed it and would recommend to all

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now