Talk

Advanced search

The Slap - what did you think?

(29 Posts)
beanandspud Fri 15-Jul-11 22:02:15

I have just finished reading 'The Slap' and to be honest I'm not sure whether I enjoyed it or not but I felt compelled to carry on reading for some reason.

Has anyone else read it? Did I miss the point? I think, from the reviews, I was expecting something completely mind-blowing/thought-provoking but it didn't happen...

mumsiepie Fri 15-Jul-11 22:17:40

I was exactly the same as you

Sotiredofwakinguptired Fri 15-Jul-11 22:23:58

Same here. Loved the premise but hated the characters, couldn't care less about any of them in the end

Reality Fri 15-Jul-11 22:24:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FoxyRevenger Fri 15-Jul-11 22:27:31

I absolutely hated it, I can't remember if I finished it, but I suspect not.

The characters were all so deeply unlikeable. I don't understand where these people come from; in their forties, routinely taking drugs, shagging around, stuff that middle-aged parents generally don't get involved in.

As I get older I find I judge books on whether they add any good to the world or just heap a bit more misery into it, and this book definitely is in the latter category.

mymumdom Fri 15-Jul-11 22:31:41

I enjoyed it BUT I'm from NZ and recognised all those Australian characters. We did this with our book club and the only other person who liked it was someone who had spent time in Australia.
All my English friend hated the characters.

scottishmummy Fri 15-Jul-11 22:38:28

didnt like.my kiwi pal loved it

KurriKurri Fri 15-Jul-11 22:41:02

I didn't like it, but did read it all the way through.

this was a webchat with the author a few months ago, which I found quite interesting, he was a good guest.

scottishmummy Fri 15-Jul-11 23:05:02

thanks,just read author and he does adddress characters in book i didnt like
and gave good account too

Fairenuff Sat 16-Jul-11 17:13:54

One thing that struck me was, if this was a portrait of typical suburban life in Australia, I for one, could not live there. The characters were all horrible and the parents routinely swearing in front of the kids made me cringe.

Woofsaidtheladybird Sat 16-Jul-11 19:41:38

Phew. I persevered and read the whole thing, and I didn't like it either. I've lived in Melbourne too, and didn't recognise the Melbourne I remember in it. I also thought the book was written in a very masculine style (yes, I know it is written by a bloke) eg the sex scenes. I'm no prude at all, but I found some of the descriptions quite off-putting and even somewhat violent at times. Can't remember exact scenes, just remember thinking 'ugh'.

Bmatoes Thu 21-Jul-11 10:30:45

I felt like a bit of a prude Reading the book ! Some of the sex details I was uncomfortable with as they were so crude. I was thinking ' oh my .. No need for that' !!!

flybynight Thu 21-Jul-11 10:48:25

I found it unputdownable and having lived some years in Oz, I recognised the characters. I found the wanking a bit hard to take though. blush

Mollymax Thu 21-Jul-11 11:00:32

I didn't finish it either, which I very rarely do.
I am not a prude but I found the language appalling.

Soupqueen Sun 24-Jul-11 02:45:50

I thought it was an extremely well observed and well written book. All the characters were completely unlikeable though!

Apocalypto Fri 29-Jul-11 11:09:12

I tried it last night and couldn't get to the end of chapter 1. Couldn't remember who was supposed to be whom and soon as the main character starting popping drugs I lost interest.

pickledsiblings Fri 29-Jul-11 11:17:38

Agree with Soupqueen although thouth the teenagers were likeable.

oaks56 Sun 31-Jul-11 20:46:43

I hated this book. I disliked the language used just for the sake of it. It's definitely a mans book.

sittinginthesun Sun 31-Jul-11 21:08:32

Finished it this afternoon - took me four weeks, on and off, because I just couldn't get into it. Too much swearing for my liking, and it just didn't flow.

Whatevertheweather Sun 31-Jul-11 21:10:17

Couldn't finish it - think I gave up around chapter 3 - cannot remember the last time I found a book so distasteful I couldn't finish it.

Sounds like I didn't miss too much smile

PurveyorOfBaloney Sun 31-Jul-11 21:21:11

Phew, I'm glad I'm not the only one who didn't really like it. I've just finished reading it and did wonder if I had actually been reading the same book as some of the reviews out there shock

Didn't really buy into any of the characters, especially the parents of the slapped child. The teenagers were unexpectedly saintly (despite the drug taking) and the blokes, to a man, were vile.

I was waiting for something vaguely profound to happen, then the book ended. Was left feeling that I wish I hadn't bothered. I get this more and more with novels these days - not quite sure why!

deaconblue Tue 02-Aug-11 21:17:59

Started this last night and not enjoying it so far. Too many characters introduced too quickly, too much swearing and shagging for me

Bubbaluv Wed 03-Aug-11 04:06:44

I'm Australian and I didn't recognize any of those characters except maybe the teenagers.
Horrible - and the characterisation of the women seemed so false and contrived.

deaconblue Fri 05-Aug-11 12:51:50

Third of the way in and I'm giving up. Unbelievable characters (no one thinks about smashing kids heads in), horrible aggressive sex and nasty mean spirited characters. Can live without knowing how it ends

Blu Fri 05-Aug-11 12:55:14

I got sick of his language, hated the characters, thought some of his plotting and the psychology of what characters did was compoletely unbelieveable, very clumsy and heavy handed.

A way over-hyped book.

Shoppingbags - good decision, do something better with your time.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: