Talk

Advanced search

Creepy novels set in Vienna

(10 Posts)
Apocalypto Fri 15-Jul-11 17:47:34

Does anyone know of any?

There's some sort of trilogy of these but I'm buggered if I can remember the name or the writer.

Are there any others?

flybynight Fri 15-Jul-11 17:52:25

I know that 7 out of 12 John Irving novels feature Vienna. But I suspect that doesn't really answer your question.

The Frank Tallis Max Liberman ones are set in Vienna. They involve lots of cake and repressed sexual tension smile and the first few are pretty good but then they do get v samey.

Apocalypto Mon 25-Jul-11 17:54:12

I'd kind of like to stumble across someone who does for Vienna what Peter Ackroyd does with London. Flashbacks, mystery, murder, a bit spooky, a bit of bonking.

Doesn't seem to exist though...

limitlessclutter Wed 27-Jul-11 18:34:28

There is a very weird book about one of Freud's cases, title is something about a fig tree? I think it was so unsettling that I gave it away, hence can't check the title, so it might fit the bill smile

Apocalypto Wed 27-Jul-11 20:46:46

Sounds spot on limitless, pse try to remember title!

The White Hotel sort of does it, but it's not Vienna-centric enough for my tastes.

limitlessclutter Thu 28-Jul-11 13:32:29

Here it is!

Really had to dredge around in the old brain to even google the right stuff. Hope you enjoy it!

Apocalypto Thu 28-Jul-11 13:55:06

Thanks, have ordered it for the princely sum of £2.81. The reviews are a bit patchy but that isn't necessarily bad IME. I tend to like a lot of stuff others hate and vice versa. I even liked American Psycho...

If that weirded you out a bit much you might like to give The White Hotel a try. Psychoanalysis, second sight, sex, classical music, poetry and Nazis. It's all there.

Dogsby Thu 28-Jul-11 13:55:32

get the english german girl - not in vienna but scary and sad

pointydog Thu 28-Jul-11 14:12:03

The tHird Man

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now