Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Book Giveaway - Book Club newsletter this month - NOW CLOSED

(13 Posts)
RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 12-Jul-11 22:38:32

If you haven't already, do check the book club newsletter this month as there's a heap of great books being given away.

For those looking for adult fiction, there's Ophelia in Pieces - author Clare Jacob says that after years as a barrister defending clients accused variously of bomb-making, hiding cocaine in coconuts and stealing underpants, she decided to capture the lunacy and mystery of it all in a novel. Read this excerpt to give you a taster and email clemmie@shortbooks.co.uk with 'Mumsnet - Ophelia in Pieces' as the subject if you'd like a copy. There are 100 up for grabs.

There's also 50 free copies of Diane Chamberlain's The Midwife's Confession; "I don't know how to tell you what I did." An unfinished letter reveals a terrible secret and a legacy of guilt that changes everything the characters thought they knew about the woman who delivered their children.

We'll be posting on this board to let you know once the books have all gone. If you're successful and manage to get a copy, please do come back to this thread and let us know your thoughts on the books.

tillyfernackerpants Tue 12-Jul-11 23:25:05

Thanks Rachel, fingers crossed!

gailforce1 Sat 16-Jul-11 17:14:55

Thanks Rachel for posting this as I did not receive the email!

DazR Sun 17-Jul-11 12:57:06

I haven't seen the bookclub newsletter this month (has it been sent yet??) This is the only notification I have seen so thank you Rachel for posting.

RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 20-Jul-11 15:27:57

Copies of Ophelia in Pieces have now all gone but there are still a few copies of The Midwife's Confession up for grabs - we'll post on this thread to keep you posted on when they've gone and when they've been sent out.

RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 21-Jul-11 10:55:14

Have just heard that to meet the demand, Mira books have agreed to send out 100 (instead of 50) copies of The Midwife's Confession. The books will be sent out on Monday - do let us know when you've received your copies and don't forget to let us know what you think of the books.

GeraldineMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 21-Jul-11 14:44:55

For anyone who'd like to get Book club newsletter but currently isn't, you need to go to email options in My Mumsnet to check which newsletters you're signed up to get. smile

RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 08-Aug-11 12:52:49

You should have received your copies of The Midnight's Confession and Ophelia in Pieces by now. Please do let us know what you thought when you've had chance to read.

Dumbledoresgirl Mon 08-Aug-11 16:09:36

I received a copy of The Midwife's Confession last week. I was immediately inspired to read it and am about half way through at the moment, enjoying it (sort of; some of the storylines are a bit uncomfortable).

Thanks for allowing me the opportunity to read this book MN. smile

Is it being discussed elsewhere?

RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 11-Aug-11 13:36:06

Thanks Dumbledoresgirl, thanks for the feedback. We're not discussing this elsewhere, so it's great if you can post your thoughts on either of the books on this thread - good or bad smile

smurfling Thu 11-Aug-11 13:45:45

Thank you very much for the books I've received.
Looking forward to reading them on hol next week (says she, optimistically assuming I will have time to open any of them!!)

Michiem Thu 11-Aug-11 23:15:15

Loved Ophelia in Pieces, what a flawed character who I just loved for acknowledging that her choices do have consequences. Not sure about the happy ending but did love te inactivity middle class boy roaming London trying to score drugs with a fake jewel! smile

gramercy Fri 12-Aug-11 17:44:13

Thanks for my copy of Ophelia in Pieces. Unfortunately I thought it was pants. The woman was not what I would call in pieces - more like a small blip and everything was terribly nicely ironed out at the end. Also big cliches - the handsome husband who is an architect (yawn, is anyone ever an IT manager or accountant in these stories?) with curly wild hair (yawn, is any bloke ever bald in books?) and the mother with nice seaside pad in Suffolk (yawn, how about parents who live in Leighton Buzzard?).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now