Talk

Advanced search

book clun swap

(882 Posts)
jklikesrowing Sun 10-Jul-11 23:01:41

lets start a new book thing swap, who wants to join?

swampster Sun 10-Jul-11 23:36:51

Usual rules?

For a book a month for a year we need a dozen members.

The idea is you choose a book you really enjoyed reading and forward it to the next mumsnetter on the list.

Then, on a given date (once monthly) you send it on the next person on your list. You will always be sending to the same next person. It will cost you around £1.70 a month to post 2nd class in the UK.

Please only say you're interested if:
a) You're a reasonably quick reader (you have 1 month).
b) You are not so precious about your books that you insist you get 'your' book back. Hopefully you will but I cannot gurantee it.
c) You are hopeless at sending stuff.

This will only work if you are fairly committed. But it means you will have a new book to read every month for less than £2. You will get a wide range of fiction and may find some new gems

If you send a book in a very scratty condition, it will most, likely fall to bits after it has been round a few people. But if you drop someone's book in a bath or the dog eats it etc, it might be nice if you 'fessed up.

Last time, we had a little review section going of each book in the circle. We weren't the world's best reviewers. Must Try Harder.

Last time round we had a no chick lit and no sci-fi rule. Bizarrely, the book I enjoyed reading most was a sci-fi/fantasy one which sneaked through.

I think I read about six books before the circle snapped and I never got my original book back. It was a lot of fun though and I'm prepared to give it another go.

We need a coordinator, so that's you, jklikesrowing...

Any other takers?

ElectricSoftParade Mon 11-Jul-11 11:57:45

Me please!

jklikesrowing Mon 11-Jul-11 13:11:00

thats three of us!!!

mumoverseas Mon 11-Jul-11 13:42:30

sounds interesting although have just got a kindle and am totally in love with it. If you are short on numbers I would give it a go though

swampster Mon 11-Jul-11 15:31:38

Yay, ElectricSoftParade, and hello, MOS, now better known as muminuk! If I can persuade MarkStretch to step this way despite unread books will you accept that a random book which has been chosen by a strange lady landing in your post box each month has a certain something that a virtual read does not and join us?

dinkystinky Thu 14-Jul-11 23:04:45

Me Me Me! Though my reading material isnt everyone's cup of tea...

dinkystinky Fri 15-Jul-11 11:19:16

Bumpety bump. You'd think people would be more interested in finding out what a book clun is and how you swap it grin

swampster Fri 15-Jul-11 12:28:36

grin I am thinking I should start a new thread with a different title. OP had butterfingers.

ElectricSoftParade Fri 15-Jul-11 13:06:45

Just a little bump, I was all excited! Hope more people are interested soon.

swampster Fri 15-Jul-11 18:53:45

I am off on holiday soon so not the best timing as I can't coordinate my packing let alone a book club. But I am game.

So far we have:

jklikesrowing
swampster
ElectricSoftParade
mumoverseas - put down yer kindle
dinkystinky
MarkStretch is in my sights

gailforce1 Fri 15-Jul-11 20:20:48

Please may I join? Was part of MegBusset's non posting book club last year but it did not work out - only read one book before it ran out of steam!!

swampster Fri 15-Jul-11 21:29:24

grin Getting there.

jklikesrowing
swampster
ElectricSoftParade
dinkystinky
MarkStretch is still in my sights
gailforce1

tillyfernackerpants Fri 15-Jul-11 22:22:45

I'd like to join. I did use to be part of one but it continually failed, I think we tried it on 3 separate occasions!!

In fact, swampster, I can't help thinking you were part of that one, I don't know why!

swampster Fri 15-Jul-11 22:31:21

That's fighting talk, tillyfernackerpants! I was part of a book circle about three years ago - read some great books but it fell apart about halfway through. I had a few really enjoyable reads but I never saw my book again.

Were you there? Did you have another name?

jklikesrowing
swampster
ElectricSoftParade
dinkystinky
MarkStretch is still in my sights
gailforce1
tillyfernackerpants

tillyfernackerpants Fri 15-Jul-11 22:46:02

I did have another name, may have been rosmerta then. I think Trillian was part of our group, also squilly & psychomum. Am I ringing any bells?

swampster Fri 15-Jul-11 22:52:25

Yes, yes YES!!!

tillyfernackerpants Fri 15-Jul-11 22:55:13

I think I may have one of your books actually blush, Something might Happen or A Thousand Splendid Suns?

swampster Fri 15-Jul-11 22:58:55

I feel heavily nostalgic for those days as DS3 was but an embryo - I had just started reading again then he came along... He's now two-and-a-half hence I think I might just be able to get through a book a month again.

swampster Fri 15-Jul-11 22:59:36

grin grin grin Mine was Half of a Yellow Sun.

tillyfernackerpants Fri 15-Jul-11 23:06:28

Oh, I never received that one grin, though I did read it for my RL book group & it is excellent. So we must've been pg at the same time, my ds2 is 2 and a half, 3 in Dec

swampster Fri 15-Jul-11 23:10:16

Mine is three in early Feb.

I am trying to persuade Coco to join this.

Haribojoe Sat 16-Jul-11 21:16:11

If you're still recruiting can I join please?

I choose a book, send it to someone and then each book that comes to me I send on to the next person after a month, have I understood how it works?

swampster Sun 17-Jul-11 00:47:05

Exactly right! Welcome on board. Coco's in too so we're getting there.

swampster Sun 17-Jul-11 00:47:06

Exactly right! Welcome on board. Coco's in too so we're getting there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now