Talk

Advanced search

how many books do you have lined up ready to read? I have 36 [grin]

(26 Posts)
overthemill Wed 06-Jul-11 13:09:28

and am soo ridiculously pleased at the sight of them all lined up on one (crammed) bookshelf!

SuePurblybilt Wed 06-Jul-11 13:11:54

I am envy at your shelf (though how are you on MN and not gorging?). My idea of perfect happiness is the same as Mrs Miniver's - log fire, autumn afternoon, tea, crumpets and three new library books waiting to be opened. Bliss.
I have nothing and cannot get to the library until tomorrow so I am re-reading old favourites.

freelancescientist Wed 06-Jul-11 13:43:30

36....... I see your 36 and raise you - 117. I know. Don't join Readitswapit. (well do, it is a great site, but you won't get rid of books - one swap seems to lead to at least 3 books, once you take into account new authors discovered, new series you must get all the books of, in order, recommendations etc etc).

bran Wed 06-Jul-11 13:51:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Abcinthia Wed 06-Jul-11 13:57:19

16 books.

I have a book box by my bed where I put books into order of how I'm going to read them.

PGTip Wed 06-Jul-11 13:59:40

48 on my shelf, I love looking at them, currently reading The Whisperer and then it'll be Jeffry Archer's newest one. Really trying hard not to buy any more til at least half of the current lot have been read.

overthemill Wed 06-Jul-11 16:08:05

haha, so glad its not just me then. Came back on to see how you were all competing! used to do readitswapit but had one bad experience and am mildly put off it...

plupervert Wed 06-Jul-11 16:31:29

I haven't got them all in one place, but am doing quite well at only about 20 to read!

ColonelBrandonsBiggestGroupie Wed 06-Jul-11 17:56:18

None. sad

I have failed on my book about Darwin and that was the last one in my pile.

I HATE having nothing to read and I am jealous of all those of you who DO have piles of books waiting for you.

pinkhebe Wed 06-Jul-11 17:58:58

I have 76 on my kindle blush I ordered 6 more in the sale today blush blush

titferbrains Wed 06-Jul-11 18:09:16

woo hoo thanks for posting about the amazon sale, am off to select some holiday reads for the Ipad. Fandabbydozy!

Hippee Wed 06-Jul-11 20:06:22

I haven't counted but it probably runs to hundreds blush - another readitswapit member here and uncontrolled charity shop/jumble sale hunter. I justify it too - today I spent £8.00 on 5 books - and I tell myself that that's just what most people would pay for one new one blush blush

Hippee Wed 06-Jul-11 20:08:38

overthemill - bad luck with readitswapit - I have been lucky so far (fingers crossed) and had no bad experiences.

jugglingmug Wed 06-Jul-11 20:19:24

overthemill also had a bad experience with readitswapit...but as I've been car boot trawling I have a box of 23 books waiting to be read, including the new Jodi Picoult which I have promised myself next weekend when DC finish school.

overthemill Thu 07-Jul-11 11:11:58

haha! and now its 35!! and i like stroking the spines too, god i am mad...

bran Thu 07-Jul-11 12:06:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BabeRuthless Thu 07-Jul-11 12:24:28

This thread makes me feel so much better about the ridiculous amount of books I have lined up. I know what my next four will be (Caitlin Moran, Deborah Devonshire, In The Darkest Corner & Woman in Black) but then I've got a wealth of James Ellroy lined up, some Dennis Lehane & I've just discovered Camilla Lackberg.

Not expecting to get much reading done of the summer but ds starts school full time in september <rubs hands together>

IamtheSnorkMaiden Thu 07-Jul-11 12:27:24

Most of my house is full of books I will never have time to read. Many have a thick layer of dust and cobwebs, mould, little black bugs living in them, or have faded from sitting in piles on windowsills for years.

I have a list of things I 'must' read and it grows ever longer. I really should burn it.

Fennel Thu 07-Jul-11 12:31:34

I've got 15 books that I was given (2nd hand) or got in charity shops, but they aren't mostly very tempting, and then 12 (4 new 8 charity shop) I've just bought for the summer holiday reading - going where there aren't proper bookshops.

Galaxymum Thu 07-Jul-11 19:46:50

I used to be in Bookcrossing and took part in lots of bookrings but I got quite stressed over the books I HAD to read as people were waiting as opposed to selecting what i really WANTED to read as the mood took me. I have 12 on my shelf waiting to be read including (VERY excited at this) my first Black Dagger Brotherhood book as recommended by many on here soooo expecting my to read pile to suddenly jump!

MrsMupps Thu 07-Jul-11 19:58:37

I have just rediscovered the local library, I find out which book I want to read, look up the books availability and go and grab it quick before someone gets their paws on it, as I don't even pay to reserve them. Best of all, I don't end up with a shelf full of books that I know I won't read again. lol

overthemill Fri 08-Jul-11 11:16:34

i also love the local library and go regularly, trouble is my local branch is small so i often have read most things i'd want and reservations cost £1. and books at local charity shop are 99p! as we are close to commuter station they do get lots of great books in the charity shop so i often buy from there and from NT secondhand book stalls.

Deaddei Sat 09-Jul-11 06:45:17

I have about 30' but have just ordered another 4 from AMazon.
Marie Claire do good book reviews, and wrote a few down when in the hairdressers.

Goblinchild Sat 09-Jul-11 08:45:34

Snorkmaiden, I'm in the same position. smile
However, when I retire, I plan to remedy the situation. I currently have around 70-80 books I haven't read yet in DD's room. She's at uni and staying there over the summer to work, so her room has been absorbed into the library.

plupervert Sat 09-Jul-11 09:21:40

Ha, I've managed to get one off my list, by starting to read it and finding it extremely dull.

Sad that I am actually quite happy about this! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now