Talk

Advanced search

But it's not sci fi is it?

(4 Posts)
LadyBeagleEyes Sat 02-Jul-11 21:16:56

I was in Waterstones yesterday looking for a copy of The Once and Future King, a book I love and have read many times.
I was getting it for my ds as he wanted to give it a try.
Anyway we couldn't find it so asked an asssistant, who happily said that they did have it and it was in the sci fi section.
It's a book about King Arthur and Camelot and a lot more besides, surely Waterstones should know better, or does sci fi cover all sorts?
It's not a section I ever look at as I'm not really a fan.

CelebratedMonkey Sat 02-Jul-11 21:21:08

In most bookstores there's a 'science fiction and fantasy' section, which he probably meant by 'sci fi', and imo it does belong either there or in classics.

Speculative fiction covers a wide range of material and there are great works of classic fiction in both science and magic based stories. It's totally fair enough to not be into sci-fi but there are some really good books in there.

PatriciaHolm Sun 03-Jul-11 22:59:46

It's not SciFi as such but it is definitely fantasy, so it depends how segregated those two are in your Waterstones. Usually they are together so that explains it.

LadyBeagleEyes Mon 04-Jul-11 18:37:17

Thanks to both of you for replying.
I'll check sci fi from now on and maybe find some decent fantasy novels too. I think it might well be ds's (16) taste and after years of trying to encourage him to read he seems to be enjoying it.
It's probably one of my favourite books ever.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now