Talk

Advanced search

'Snow' by Pamuk

(27 Posts)
sonearsofar Sun 26-Jun-11 13:45:46

has anybody else read this?
I took it away to Turkey as a holiday read and found it so dull I read my guide book instead. However - it seems to be a modern classic. Can anyone explain why?

Nefret Thu 30-Jun-11 10:12:39

I have it at home but I haven't yet read it because so many people have said how hard going it is. Did you finish it? I will have a of one day when I feel in a serious book reading mood.

sonearsofar Thu 30-Jun-11 18:26:21

no, I'm afraid I didn't. I really can't understand what the appeal is

Nefret Thu 30-Jun-11 21:45:16

I have decided that I am going to give it a go so I shall let you know how I get on.

KeepingUpWithTheCojones Thu 30-Jun-11 21:50:22

I had to read it for a course.

I thought it was proper dull.

What I did learn from it: Kar means snow in Turkish. So it's Ka in Kar in Kars.

sonearsofar Thu 30-Jun-11 22:27:58

I look forward to hear what you think Nefret

Nefret Fri 01-Jul-11 10:26:17

Well I started it last night and have only read about 30 pages but it seems ok so far, I'll see what I think as I get further along.

Pussinflatboots Sun 03-Jul-11 18:52:48

I really struggled with this too sad found it dull and pretentious. Love turkey and Turkish culture so v sad I don't love this book!

sonearsofar Mon 04-Jul-11 07:54:54

is there a turkish writer (available in english) that you would recommend. We've just come back from a holiday in eastern Turkey and I would love some more background.

Nefret Mon 04-Jul-11 18:58:02

Irfan Orga's "Portrait of a Turkish Family is good".

If you want to read some other books set in Turkey but not actually by Turkish author's I would recommend "Gardens of Water" by Alan Drew and Louis de Bernieres "Birds Without Wings"

If you want to find out a little of the history of Eastern Turkey then try "Rebel Land" a non-fiction book by Christopher de Bellaigue.

Where abouts did you visit in Eastern Turkey? That is where my husband comes from.

sonearsofar Tue 05-Jul-11 07:24:02

thanks, I'll try those. we took the train to Kars, then Van, Adilcevaz (on Lake Van), Midyat, Diyarbukir, Kayseri, then Cappadocchia. Had a lovely time and I'm going to try and learn some Turkish so we can go again next year. Where does your husband come from?

Nefret Tue 05-Jul-11 10:35:27

Mardin, near Diyabakir.

I have been trying to learn Turkish for ages now but I never have time to do it, I would like to learn Kurdish too but I have to get my Turkish better first so it may be some time yet before I start!

proudfoot Wed 06-Jul-11 03:49:10

I really liked it! However, I think a problem with him is possibly that the English translations aren't great? I read and enjoyed Snow and My Name Is Red in German and had previously started another of his in English and didn't like the style, so then I wondered if that was down to the translation.

sonearsofar Wed 06-Jul-11 07:10:17

yes, Proudfoot, perhaps you're right. I also tried White Castle and found it very dull and perhaps it was the same problem. It's always difficult to know with books in translation.

Nefret - we really liked Mardin. What a lovely place to come from

IamtheSnorkMaiden Thu 07-Jul-11 22:32:21

My husband loves Pamuk. I find his stuff impenetrable. I started reading The New Life a while back and I felt like I was punishing myself.

mixedmamameansbusiness Sat 09-Jul-11 20:38:16

I have SNow and Museum of Innocence on my shelf. I keep putting it off as I have way more stuff to read. I will get round to it though as I can read Turkish so would like to read it in its original form as well.

mixedmamameansbusiness Sat 09-Jul-11 20:41:06

And I would like to second Nefret's recommendation of Birds Without Wings. Louis de Bernieres is my absolute favourite author EVER. He takes time but once he gets you he has got you. BWW is his best imo.

CoteDAzur Mon 11-Jul-11 18:49:33

I have read Snow in Turkish and would have to agree that it is one of Pamuk's duller books. And quite possibly impenetrable if you don't have a good understanding of Turkey's recent history. Actually, it is the one Turkish book whose popularity in the international scene has puzzled me, as I'm pretty sure that many references must pass way over the heads of non-Turks.

CoteDAzur Mon 11-Jul-11 18:50:15

nefret - I may have asked this to you before (can't remember if you replied) but why did you choose "hatred" as a nickname?

CoteDAzur Mon 11-Jul-11 18:54:12

My favourite Orhan Pamuk book is Kara Kitap ("Black Book"). I heartily recommend it to anyone wishing to understand why he is considered a very good author.

Nefret Tue 12-Jul-11 11:06:28

Yes you did ask and I said it was the name in a character of a book, I wasn't aware of the Turkish meaning at the time.

I am nearly finished Snow. I am actually quite enjoying it although it certainly isn't light reading and it is a bit long winded. I do think you need to have some kind of knowledge of Turkish history and politics to be able to understand what is going on, I'm sure I would have been very confused otherwise.

CoteDAzur Tue 12-Jul-11 20:14:52

Ah yes, I remember now. It is a curious coincidence for you, speaking a bit of of Turkish and with a DH born in Turkey, to choose a Turkish word as a nickname by accident smile

CoteDAzur Tue 12-Jul-11 20:17:52

Re books on Turkey written in English by non-Turks:

Barbara Nadel writes interesting crime fiction that takes place in contemporary Istanbul.

Jason Goodwin writes crime fiction that takes place in Ottoman Istanbul, with a eunuch as the detective.

Nefret Wed 13-Jul-11 11:56:31

I do love the Barbara Nadel series, I have read all of them.

Nefret Thu 21-Jul-11 11:44:57

Well I finished Snow and I actually enjoyed it in the end.

It wasn't the easiest of reads but I'm glad I got through it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now