Talk

Advanced search

The Passage by Justin Cronin

(17 Posts)
FreeButtonBee Thu 23-Jun-11 20:00:03

just finished and it is excellent. Very superior post-apocalyptic vampire fiction.has anyone else read it?

It's like much much better stephen king; less twisted and more 'real'. I could see it actually happening somehow which is pretty frightening.

Dh and i are now seriously revising our Zombie Plan however...

PrinceHumperdink Thu 23-Jun-11 20:22:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ElectricSoftParade Thu 23-Jun-11 20:25:29

I am about half way through and, tbh, am finding it a bit hard going. I am going to carry on reading as I want to know what happens but it is more of a slog than I expected it to be.

Re: Stephen King, I loved The Stand and have re-read it several times so I am hoping I can feel like this about The Passage.

Apparently it is the first of a trilogy, although I may have this wrong?

However, I do agree on the Zombie Plan. <Looks at sad apology for vegetable garden and plans to buy many more tins of stuff>

BabeRuthless Thu 23-Jun-11 20:26:37

I really enjoyed it, read it while on holiday last year & it took me a few good days.

I'm sure I've heard that it's supposed to be part of a trilogy. He's created a world big enough to do that.

ComeWhineWithMe Thu 23-Jun-11 20:29:06

It is part of a trilogy the next one is out 2012.

I love love love this book and sort of pretended to be ill one day so I could spend the day in bed reading it smile.

Reminded me of The Stand a lot.

ColonelBrandonsBiggestGroupie Thu 23-Jun-11 22:29:19

I loved it but thought it owed an awful lot to King, actually. It's not as masterful as The Stand imho.

DandyGilver Thu 23-Jun-11 22:36:30

I loved the beginning and up to around page 300, then I just started to lose interest, the story really slowed. I was disappointed, to tell you the truth, I had read really good reviews.

HumphreyCobbler Thu 23-Jun-11 22:38:29

God I LOVED this book.

I am so excited about the sequel. It was the most compelling book I have read for ages. Very well written.

I thought it was a superior book to the Stand (which I also love), more elegantly written.

ColonelBrandonsBiggestGroupie Thu 23-Jun-11 22:41:48

I wonder if you were the one who recommended it to me, Humphrey (tis Janeite/BelligerentGhoul btw)?

I want to read it again but really should wait until a bit nearer to when the sequel is due.

HumphreyCobbler Thu 23-Jun-11 22:59:48

It may have been, I did bang on about it for a while as I was so impressed.

Nice name change.

ColonelBrandonsBiggestGroupie Thu 23-Jun-11 23:24:28

smile

Lara2 Mon 04-Jul-11 21:19:22

Just finished this - LOVED it!!!! It did owe alot to The Stand, but that was OK. The next one is called 'The Twelve' - really looking forward to it.

grendel Mon 04-Jul-11 22:18:11

Loved this book, especially the first two thirds. Thought it did start to get a little bit bogged down once they set off on their 'quest' to take Amy back. But brilliant nonetheless! Found it very hard to put down, had lots of stupidly late nights as a result.

Galaxymum Tue 05-Jul-11 09:44:40

I selected this as our current book group read, and so glad I did. I'm about half way through and completely in awe of this whole novel. Love the concept particularly Amy, and finding it such a page turner. Real life just keeps interfering! I have to keep sitting up late to read it.

Only problem - the pages are so thin, I keep turning two pages grrr.

Joekate Tue 19-Jul-11 13:23:25

I'm half way through this book, so have just skimmed replies incase I find something out I shouldn't smile. I'm loving it and would reccomend it to anyone. Has anyone read anything else by Justin Cronin? Are they in the same vein?

Joekate Tue 19-Jul-11 13:24:54

There's a sequel!! Fabulous grin

looblylu Sun 31-Jul-11 19:50:31

i loved it.. but i didnt know it was going to be part of a trilogy until i was about 3/4 of the way through!
So i was a bit cross when i got to the end knowing i'd have to wait ages for the sequel!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now