Talk

Advanced search

Need a 'can't put down'

(86 Posts)
Munzle Thu 23-Jun-11 12:37:55

You know what I mean... where you pretend that you need the loo loads just so you can go and read your book?! On holiday next week and it's ages since I've read a book that had me furiously turning the pages. Don't like chick/lit, murder/mystery. Last book I read that had me gripped like this was Time Traveller's Wife, and We need to Talk about Kevin. Any suggestions?

Grabaspoon Thu 23-Jun-11 12:42:45

My recent can't-put-downs were

Water for elephants
The 13th Tale

I also reccomend

The help
The 19th wife

Bradsmum Thu 23-Jun-11 12:47:30

The Passage - different but unputdownable for me

AussieGirl78 Thu 23-Jun-11 14:54:59

I loved The Help too - another one that's meant to be brilliant but I haven't read yet is 'The memory of love'

Enjoy your holiday!!!

FranSanDisco Thu 23-Jun-11 14:58:57

My recent can't put downs are :

Water for elephants
The Help

Just finished this afternoon When god was a rabbit which was OK but not like the above. I'm on the look out for the next read so will watch this thread smile.

RupertTheBear Thu 23-Jun-11 16:17:57

Recent ones for me include Room, The Hand That First Held Mine, Into the Darkest Corner and the Shardlake books.
I am also really enjoying Pigeon English which I have just started.

fluffyliquorice Thu 23-Jun-11 17:08:07

Have just finished and loved A Kind of Intimacy by Jenn Ashworth. I would also recommend True Things About Me by Deborah Kay Davies.

FreeButtonBee Thu 23-Jun-11 20:02:24

<hijack>

bradsmum - come talk passage with me over here www.mumsnet.com/Talk/adult_fiction/1244275-The-Passage-by-Justin-Cronin

JoleneJoleneJoleneJoleeene Thu 23-Jun-11 20:04:32

Jodi picoult and phillipa Gregory having staying up to all hours reading.

KnitterInTheNW Thu 23-Jun-11 20:04:35

Have you read Perfume?

ComeWhineWithMe Thu 23-Jun-11 20:08:36

The Passage

One Day

Angels- Marian Keyes

Geralds Game

Haribojoe Thu 23-Jun-11 21:17:49

Plain truth by Jodi Picoult, Killing Floor by Lee Child, Room by Emma Donoghue, loads of others but can't think right now.

Bandwitch Thu 23-Jun-11 21:20:07

I just finished The Girl in Times Square by Paullina Simons yesterday. Big thick book and I practically brought it in to the bathroom with me. sorry, tmi!

BikeRunSki Thu 23-Jun-11 21:21:00

Anything by Douglas Kennedy. Especially "A Special Relationship" and "The Pursuit of Happiness". Don't let the naff names and girly covers put you off.

Strivingtosmile Thu 23-Jun-11 21:27:27

Another Paullina Simons from me - The Bronze horseman. Fave book ever

ColonelBrandonsBiggestGroupie Thu 23-Jun-11 22:26:36

Yes to Perfume.
Yes to The Passage.
Yes to Shardlake but you won't like those because they are murder/mystery - bloody good ones though.

Harriet81 Thu 23-Jun-11 22:33:15

Room, One Day, A Thousand Splendid Sunsets, The Dressmaker, We Are all Made of Glue, Kafka on the Shore, to name but a few. I was involved in world book night so could send you a copy of One Day as I still have a few left. It's a beautiful story and the film is out in August. If you would like a copy then just message your address.

Bandwitch Fri 24-Jun-11 12:00:31

Strivingtosmile, which comes first in that trilogy. is it tatiana or the bronze horseman? I have a secondhand copy of T&A but I can't find any clue as to whether it's the first in the trilogy or not. I want to read them in the right order.

I read Perfume years ago. Very good but you'd be finished it very quickly.

Bandwitch Fri 24-Jun-11 12:02:02

Bikerunski, interesting you say that because the extremely romantic titles do put me off. I imagine them being like Leslie Pearse books. (i've read a couple and enjoyed some and raised my eyes at others).

argghh Fri 24-Jun-11 12:09:21

Great thread, just marking my spot !

BikeRunSki Fri 24-Jun-11 19:04:15

No, Douglas Kennedy is not like Lesley Pearce smaltzy crap at all (have only read Stolen, and only finsihed it to see if it would get better). Douglas K writes well, deals with "issues", hs strong female leads and is gripping, real page turner stuff. Try one, and you'll be straight on Amazon to order the rest. I suspect that the titles and covers are a publisher's marketing ploy to attract female readers because of the female leads.

roundandroundincircles Fri 24-Jun-11 19:11:15

Room, The Island (Victoria Hislop), When will there be good news (Kate Atkinson) - just been on tv.

Jofo Fri 24-Jun-11 19:18:37

The Tent, The Bucket and Me - Emma Kennedy
The Slap

ginmakesitallok Fri 24-Jun-11 19:18:46

Have just finished Six Suspects by Vikas Swarup - it was one of those that I snuck into the toilet with me blush

transferbalance Fri 24-Jun-11 19:22:24

I like Vikras Swarup a lot, thought Q&A was much better than the film

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now