Talk

Advanced search

Feel good books you would urge your fellow Mumsnetters to read?

(19 Posts)
bibbitybobbityhat Tue 21-Jun-11 21:28:57

I always fly the flag for The Barrytown Trilogy by Roddy Doyle, particularly The Van (although I love the others, too).

Will also add to this The Third Policeman by Flan O'Brien (sp?).

Restoration by Rose Tremain (omg what an near-perfect novel that is).

Lots of Fay Weldons and Mary Wesleys make me laugh, but I've read all those.

So - any other suggestions?

I need an upbeat, cheerful read, but I don't do chicklit or light and frothy stuff. Not that I have anything against those genres, at all, but I just don't have much time to read fiction, and at the moment I really really want intelligent but not tragic.

Any ideas?

lulamama Tue 21-Jun-11 21:40:13

I really enjoy Maggie O'farrell - all of hers are fab.

I also love Iris Murdoch - but they can get a bit philosophy heavy. They have great characters though and make me laugh out loud. 'The bell' is especially good.

Also read a great novel recently called 'consolation' by James Wilson - fantastic book!

(I enjoyed Restoration too. smile)

bibbitybobbityhat Tue 21-Jun-11 21:55:37

Oh yes, Iris Murdoch. Of course smile.

Just remembered Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbons - tis hilarious

ColonelBrandonsBiggestGroupie Tue 21-Jun-11 22:00:53

Pride And Prejudice, of course. smile

Yes to Cold Comfort Farm.

I Capture The Castle.

Miss Pettigrew Lives For A Day.

Any Bill Bryson but especially The Lost Continent or the Australian one (not fiction of course though).

I read a Rose Tremain recently called 'The Road Home' which was okay, although not desperately cheerful.

Vile Bodies or Scoop maybe?

Some Jeeves and Wooster?

AgathaPinchBottom Wed 22-Jun-11 09:49:51

Yes to 'cold comfort farm' and yes to 'I capture the castle' and 'miss pettigrew', didn't enjoy 'scoop'much but 'vile bodies' is great. How about brideshead revisited? not a barrel of laughs - but it's so good.

mavornia Wed 22-Jun-11 15:04:27

I loved Everything I've Ever Done That Worked, a collection of essays by Lesley Garner, great to dip into , well written and often very uplifting and inspiring without being too self-help iykwim

love Bill Bryson's A Walk in the Woods

Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert

bibbitybobbityhat Wed 22-Jun-11 17:09:18

Oooh thanks for your suggestions!

I've read all the Evelyn Waughs and Bill Brysons, but I like the look of that Lesley Garner collection, thank you.

Its surprisingly difficult to come up with intelligent but funny/upbeat novels, isn't it?

TotalChaos Sat 25-Jun-11 08:00:07

not a laugh a minute, but how about Oranges are Not the Only Fruit by Jeanette Winterson

MintyB Sat 25-Jun-11 21:32:23

An old one but a classic and still SO funny - Diary of a no-body x

notnowImreading Sun 26-Jun-11 10:48:03

I love the Blandings books by PG Wodehouse much more than Jeeves and Wooster. Also 1066 and All That makes me absolutely hoot with laughter. Yes yes yes to Cold Comfort Farm. I clearly have the sense of humour of a 13 yr old from 1936.

Lara2 Mon 04-Jul-11 21:32:55

Anything by Christopher Brookmyre - quite dark, but makes me laugh out loud.

unclefest Wed 06-Jul-11 12:58:45

Precious Bane by Mary Webb smile

Ihavewelliesbuttheyrenotgreen Mon 11-Jul-11 19:49:01

Rosamunde Pilchard books are essentially happy and have really beautiful cornish settings.

MrsGuyOfGisbourne Mon 11-Jul-11 19:54:53

pilchard? very Cornish grin

MrsGuyOfGisbourne Mon 11-Jul-11 19:56:04

Andrew Camilleri's Inspector Montalbano books, very funny and evoke the atmosphere of Sicily fabulously

MrsGuyOfGisbourne Mon 11-Jul-11 19:56:21

Andrea

Ihavewelliesbuttheyrenotgreen Mon 11-Jul-11 20:01:50

oops

grendel Tue 12-Jul-11 18:09:28

For laugh out loud funny: "The tent, the bucket and me" by Emma Fielding - hilarious camping mishaps in 1970s

For a wonderful, warm, feelgood read: "Prodigal summer" by Barbara Kingsolver

MrsGuyOfGisbourne Thu 14-Jul-11 16:17:57

A short history of tractors in Ukrainian, any of Tony Hawks books, 'playing the Moldovans at tennis'

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now