Talk

Advanced search

LOVE Vintage John Irving...Where next????

(6 Posts)
CDMforever Tue 21-Jun-11 20:36:40

When I say vintage, I mean the likes of Owen Meany, Cider House Rules, Hotel New Hampshire and Garp. After that I think he went off the boil.
Looking for any authors similar to John Irving...can't think of the last time I read a book of the same calibre (correct spelling??!) of the above mentioned novels and I need to!!!!!

libbyssister Tue 21-Jun-11 21:43:33

What do you like about John Irving? Is it the quirkiness and other-worldly characters (they are always characters to me, can only exist in his books, never in RL) or is it the long, satisfying story arcs?

If it's the former, I like Alice Hoffman for the same reason. She has a collection of short stories called The Blackbird House which are all interconnected that remind me somewhat of John Irving's descriptions and characters.

If it's the latter, I recommend Tully by Paullina Simons. Years after reading this I remember it being a great, long satisfying read.

CDMforever Tue 21-Jun-11 22:30:31

I would have to say both libbyssister.
Thanx for the recommendations, off to amazon to have a gander.

jennyhatesjazz Fri 29-Jul-11 19:13:33

I love Owen Meany and all of the 'old' John Irving books. Have you read anything by Wally Lamb? It's a bit like JI, but without the humour - BUT don't let that put you off! 'I know this much is true' is probably the most well known, but 'She's come undone' and 'The hour I first believed' are excellent too. Also, I recently read 'Last Night in Twisted River' and it was great. Very similar to some of his old stuff.

CDMforever Sun 31-Jul-11 21:47:29

OOooh, haven't read Last Night in Twisted River as had lost faith in JI !
Will have a look at Wally Lamb, thanx.

latermater Sun 31-Jul-11 21:48:51

Jane Smiley?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now