Talk

Advanced search

Can you help me remember the names of these books?

(9 Posts)
IDrinkFromTheirSkulls Sat 18-Jun-11 18:27:39

I think 3 of them are definitely childrens books but the 4th book probably isn't. I posted here instead of children's fiction because there is more traffic.

I remember reading all of these books when I was in primary school but can't remember their names.

Book 1: Was set somewhere in Scotland, possibly involved a boggart and a girl named Dody/dodie which was short for Dorothy. I think Dody was involved in a robbery or was kidnapped at some point.

Book 2: featured a scary faceless monk and an evil clown. I think there was timetravel or alternate universes. There was a something to do with keys and clocks.

Book 3: a girl and a boy are asked to test a new type of virtual reality game which it turn out is using there own fears as part of the levels. One of them is scared of all these eyes looking at her and getting closer. One of the children lived on a canal boat.

Book 4: I don't know if this was a children's book, it had a blue cover and seemed to be a collection of stories based on/around Christmas but I only remember the first one. There is a woman about to give birth in the snow and a stranger stops their car to help her. They take her back forgets house so she can have the baby but I can't remember any more.

I would have read all these in the mid to late 90s and the first 3 may have been new out.

I know its a long shot but does anyone have any idea which books I'm talking about?

IDrinkFromTheirSkulls Sat 18-Jun-11 18:40:30

Ah ok, I've just found the first one is The Boggart by Susan cooper (idiot emoticon) but there is no dodie or kidnapping so I think that was a different book which I still can't remember.

StantonLacy Mon 20-Jun-11 20:30:59

Could the characters' name be Dido ? Rather than Dodie ? Joan Aiken wrote a series of books starting with 'The Wolves of Willoughby Chase' with a girl called Dido Twite in. I can't clearly remember all of the plots, but I'm pretty sure there was a kidnapping of some form.

IDrinkFromTheirSkulls Sun 26-Jun-11 21:20:16

I'm not sure. The other day I remembered that the sister of "Dodie" or whoever she was was named Emer. (I remembered because I found an old school book where I had written my favourite names at the time and Emer was one of them blush)

I also remembered a character called Araminta (because that was another name on my list!) which was from Moondial, which I'd forgotten I'd read...could that be my faceless monk/evil clown book if anyone remembers details of the plot?

Topcat11 Sat 09-Jul-11 09:22:35

No evil clowns in Moondial - there was a girl who had a birthmark on her face so hid her face all the time with her cloak so perhaps that's what you're thinking of?

hisgirlfriday Mon 08-Aug-11 22:40:08

Could the Christmas one be by Elizabeth goudge. Think its called a Christmas book' but afraid I can't recall any of the stories.

randomness Mon 08-Aug-11 22:53:46

Can't help sorry but had to say, bloody hell you read some scary-sounding books in your childhood!
I've got the shivers just hearing about books 2 & 3, will prob have nightmares tonight shockblush

looblylu Mon 15-Aug-11 15:05:01

Could book three possibly be one of the legendeer trilogy by Alan Gibbons?
I read those as a child in the 90s and they were about a boy called phoenix going into a VR game!
I dont remember them well enough to remember a canal boat though so possibly not!

candr Mon 15-Aug-11 18:32:02

Wolves of Willoughby was about 2 cousins who's parents supposidly died on holiday and the childrens carers were horrible to them. The wolves used to try and catch the horses and people travelling through the area and eventually got the baddies after getting into the girls house.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now