Talk

Advanced search

Any Thomas Pynchon fans about?

(8 Posts)
MegBusset Wed 08-Jun-11 16:47:38

I'm rereading V for the first time in 15 years and remembering how much I love it (though not his best I don't think).

So any fans here? Which book do you like best? And who else do you like reading?

swampster Wed 08-Jun-11 23:34:54

I LOVED Gravity's Rainbow about 25 years ago. I think it is waaaaay beyond me now.

The Crying of Lot 49 was very digestible.

Now I like reading things like The Gruffalo, Hairy Maclary and The BFG.

swampster Wed 08-Jun-11 23:35:12

I never managed V.

MyBrainIsOutOfTune Wed 08-Jun-11 23:43:15

I've never read any of his books, but have both V and The Crying of Lot 49 in my to-read pile, and am looking forward to them! Which would you say are the best, if not these?

swampster Wed 08-Jun-11 23:52:36

I found The Crying of Lot 49 very useful when trying to make head or tail of Gravity's Rainbow. Though I never quite managed to.

MegBusset Thu 09-Jun-11 00:25:05

My favourite is Mason & Dixon, I think - though GR is I guess the most famous/analysed. Lot 49 def a good starting point although if you want more of a conventional 'story' (and lots of jokes) then Vineland and Inherent Vice are ace.

MegBusset Thu 09-Jun-11 00:27:18

I think I originally read the older ones in the order CL49, V, GR, Vineland.

CoteDAzur Mon 13-Jun-11 19:24:25

I read Vineland and thought it was the most pointless drivel ever. Should I read another of his books or give up? Is Inherent Vice slightly different in style?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: