Talk

Advanced search

Under the Skin

(6 Posts)
sonearsofar Sat 28-May-11 23:20:17

This is a thank-you to those who, in previous threads, have recommended this book which I. I started it this morning, and have just finished it. I can't remember when I last read a book so compulsive and thought-provoking. In fact, I thought I had lost the knack of concentrating on a book.
Did anyone else think of going vegetarian after reading it?

BitOfFun Sat 28-May-11 23:26:26

Oh, I vaguely remember reading this ages ago. It was bloody creepy, wasn't it? grin

sonearsofar Sat 28-May-11 23:30:24

yes - there was a bit where I had to jump a page - I'm sure you know where I mean - but it was so multi-layered. I'm just here thinking 'wow'.

StantonLacy Sun 29-May-11 20:07:13

It's brilliant, isn't it ?

I read it from cover to cover while waiting for a delayed flight once - about the only time I've actually been grateful for the opportunity of sitting in a departure lounge for any great length of time.

I completely envy anyone who hasn't read it yet - the story unfolded so beautifully, if that makes any sense smile

I was really surprised by how different it was to Crimson Petal. Then I read some of his short stories and 'The courage consort' and they were all very disparate styles, too. What a talented man.

Goblinchild Sun 29-May-11 20:15:54

I've read so many books over the years that few can catch me out with an unpredictable ending. But this one truly blindsided me, I hadn't a clue what was coming.
'The story unfolding' is exactly the right phrase, I couldn't begin to guess what was going to be revealed.

posey Mon 30-May-11 18:13:38

My sil got me this and I loved it. Totally absorbing but so creepy.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: