Talk

Advanced search

Book recs please - travel & foodie ones especially

(4 Posts)
Grockle Tue 24-May-11 07:05:51

i need some good books to read. I love reading about travel (Peter mayle type things) WW2, and general history books (if easy to read) and read lots of books about food & food production. Can anyone recommend anything please? Thank you

MoniDubai Tue 24-May-11 09:07:34

Try www.doindubai.com, really good travel ideas and some Indian recipes that work and are easy, but written from being based in Dubai though, thanks

Grockle Tue 24-May-11 19:12:20

Thanks but I'm looking for books that I can take away with me. Things along the lines of 'Food Matters' by Mark Bittman and 'Not on the label' or about travelling and living overseas. Anyone have any suggestions?

Listlessbean Tue 19-Jul-11 18:10:57

Travel - try Shakespeare My Butt! 'Marsupial Elvis' to 'No Place' ...ramblings, meanderings, digressions ...and a dog by John Donoghue.

The core of the book is the authors travels with his dog around the strange named places in the UK , to places such as 'Pity Me', 'No Place, 'Twatt' (Yes, there really is a place called Twatt) ...but he meanders all over the place with the story which to be honest I quite like.

Lots of amusing historical asides, tales of when he was a soldier, and some crazy stuff in there too.

Don't get it if you want a standard travel book, but if you want something a bit different (actually, make that a LOT different)and very funny, I'd give this a try.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now