Talk

Advanced search

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks

(14 Posts)
crapbarry Mon 07-Feb-11 14:17:23

is anyone else reading this? I picked it up in a special offer at Sainsburys, and it's amazing so far.

It's the story of the woman from whom HeLa cells were isolated, and tells the story of her and her family's life, and the life of the cells after she died.

haggis01 Mon 07-Feb-11 14:22:32

I read it on holiday in the summer.Such a sad tale and the book also raises very interesting questions about who owns your DNA and how they can exploit it for profit.

Mirage Mon 07-Feb-11 19:44:05

This is on my 'to read' list,it looks really interesting.How much is it in Sainsburys?

crapbarry Mon 07-Feb-11 19:52:01

it's in the 2 for 7 pounds offer - I got the latest Marian Keyes too

Mirage Mon 21-Feb-11 19:22:23

Thanks crapbarry,I have bought it and am looking forward to 5 minutes peace to get stuck into it.

FluffyMummy123 Mon 21-Feb-11 19:26:13

LOVED IT

read it a few months ago

Mirage Thu 24-Feb-11 19:39:00

I'm about halfway through - what an amazing story.I'm off to lie in the bath with it for a bit.It is the sort of book that you don't want to finish.

crapbarry Fri 25-Feb-11 11:02:56

it's a very moving story - I find it particulalry interesting as I've just been investigating cell lineages at work, although mine are infectious diseases isolated from animals, it's still fascinating to wonder about the source of the cells.

haggis01 Fri 25-Feb-11 11:14:45

I also thought it showed how life is so unfair - her philandering husband who gave her the syphilis etc that probably triggered her cervical cancer lived well into his 80's.

LolaLadybird Sat 26-Feb-11 07:25:18

I just started it yesterday (also bought it on offer in Sainsburys) so good to hear people saying positive things about it. I'm having no problem getting into it ..

Mirage Sun 27-Feb-11 22:51:30

I finished this on Friday.What a story!I had the same thought as you haggis,it was very unfair.

I found it hard to understand the 'naivety' of her children regarding the cells,general suspicion of Drs and the idea of 'their mother' being blasted into space ect.Then I thought about it a bit harder and realized that they were coming at it from a totally different angle from me.I am a well educated person who hasn't had to deal with discrimination,the early loss of her mother and lies and cover ups.On the other hand,her children suffered childhood cruelty,had little education,and came from a background where segregation and experiments on black people had occured within living memory.Their attitude made sense once I put myself in their shoes.sad

Phishfood123 Tue 26-Jul-11 22:10:07

I couldn't believe I'd never heard of these cells. All so unfair!

fabanflabby Wed 24-Aug-11 00:13:25

Every woman has to read this book!

I have just finished it and I feel lost! desperate to know whether the family have had any money or recognition from the American Government or the medical research companies!

Brilliant book! Should be on the Literacy and Science curriculum in all schools.

callmemalcolm Sat 27-Aug-11 14:33:01

i like da lot too
read last winter

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now