Talk

Advanced search

A Fine Balance

(12 Posts)
TeenageWildlife Mon 17-Jan-11 18:01:59

What can I read? Just finished Jonathan Rantzen's Freedom and still thinking about AFB which I read before it. Huge pile of books to read but I want something wonderful.

infin Mon 17-Jan-11 19:07:58

Impossible to follow A Fine Balance. Despite the sadness and horror of parts of it is my favourite book. You could try The Book of Negroes by Lawrence Hill. I really enjoyed it and am recommending it to everyone!

TeenageWildlife Mon 17-Jan-11 21:20:06

Thanks Infin, will check it out.

mercibien Mon 17-Jan-11 23:21:28

Have you tried God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy? a good read, but agree that AFB is an amazing moving and lasting novel

ramonaquimby Mon 17-Jan-11 23:23:26

infin- 2 of my favourite books!! what others are on your list? about to get stuck into Three Day Road (Joseph Boyden)

TheFoosa Tue 18-Jan-11 08:09:09

oh I'm reading The Book of Negroes, it's great so far

deaconblue Tue 18-Jan-11 11:06:50

Gosh I thought it was a masterpiece, loved the intricacy of the way the story lines ewere interwoven, so moving and about a time period I knew nothing about. Well worth a read

infin Tue 18-Jan-11 20:52:30

ramonaquimby I haven't read Three Day Road but some of my recent favourites have been 'The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society', 'The Sari Shop' Rupa Bajwa, 'Hullaballo in the Guava Orchard' Kiran Desai and various William Boyds. I also like Amitav Ghosh, although I found 'Sea of Poppies' a bit of slog. And a lucky pick was 'Cloth Girl' by Marilyn Heward Mills, set in Africa which I loved. No apologies for the India slant!!
Would love to hear your recommendations too.

Reens74 Thu 20-Jan-11 16:43:15

I also loved A Fine Balance. If you like Indian themed books, then also definitely try Shantaram - another fantastic book and a favourite of mine. Also try A Thousand Splendid Suns and Burnt Shadows..

AgentProvocateur Thu 28-Jul-11 17:58:33

I'm resurrecting this old thread because I've just finished AFB, and I thought it was wonderful. Definitely in my top three books ever. Has anyone read anything else by Mistry, and are the other books as good?

Belo Thu 28-Jul-11 18:08:40

AFB is the best (and my all time favourite book), but Such a Long Journey follows close behind. All of his books are good though. But those two are the best.

AgentProvocateur Fri 29-Jul-11 09:50:44

Ooh, thanks for the recommendation, Belo. I will pop into Waterstones tomorrow and pick it up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now