Talk

Advanced search

Having thought I had nothing to read

(21 Posts)
lifeinagoldfishbowl Thu 06-Jan-11 17:52:11

I have recently harumphed to people that I really must buy some new books as I have nothing to read hmm

I have just been through all the bookcases/cupboards etc in the house and come up with a large stoage box worth - around 50 books or more shock blush

Thing is I want to buy some new books not read ones that I have in the box.

Tell me should I work through all the books in the box ot buy some new ones grin

Goingspare Thu 06-Jan-11 17:54:16

Or sell the ones in the box and buy new ones with the proceeds.

sharbie Thu 06-Jan-11 17:55:17

buy new ones

3 for a fiver at the works shop and loads of reduced bargains

ComeAlongPond Thu 06-Jan-11 17:55:55

Or, you could give me the box of books of books and buy some new ones grin

lifeinagoldfishbowl Thu 06-Jan-11 19:40:26

grin Why is it that what you have is never as good as buying new ones from a shop grin

Pantofino Thu 06-Jan-11 19:42:32

Could you not take them to a 2nd hand shop and agree that you give them your box and you take half as many....

sharbie Thu 06-Jan-11 19:43:35

cos its the newness of em all op

lifeinagoldfishbowl Thu 06-Jan-11 19:47:45

Thats a good idea Pantofino

KurriKurri Thu 06-Jan-11 19:49:16

give us an idea of some of the books in the box, and we can tell you if they're worth reading or should be 'gifted to others'grin

lifeinagoldfishbowl Thu 06-Jan-11 19:56:47

Give me a minute Kurri grin

Ormirian Thu 06-Jan-11 20:00:23

Why don't you want to read the ones in the box? Are they ones you've read already and don't like? In which case get rid. Or are they ones you might like but can't be bothered to read just because they aren't new? In which case I shall give you a hard stare over the top of my librarian's reading glasses!

fotheringhay Thu 06-Jan-11 20:05:40

Read the reviews on Amazon of the ones you've got, to make you excited about reading them (or not if the reviews are bad)

lifeinagoldfishbowl Thu 06-Jan-11 20:06:25

Crime 17
Novels 10
Mis lit 2
Classics 1
Historical novels 24

Hides from Ormirian who will really give me a hard stare when I admit - I probably will enjoy all/most of them but they're not new and shiny grin

BelligerentGhoul Thu 06-Jan-11 20:08:38

Give us a few titles and we'll tell you if they're worth reading!

I have NOTHING to read and am reduced to Harry Potter for the zillionth time, in desperation as my bloomin' Amazon order hasn't arrived.

KurriKurri Thu 06-Jan-11 20:11:22

Mis Lit can go grin

What crime authors? and what's the classic? (If it's War and Peace -life's too short, ditch it grin)

KurriKurri Thu 06-Jan-11 20:12:21

Actually going through the bookcases is a good idea - I'm sure I've got loads I haven't read tucked away.

lifeinagoldfishbowl Thu 06-Jan-11 20:24:05

The great Gatsby

Lots of Martina Cole

KurriKurri Thu 06-Jan-11 20:36:43

I'd say Great Gatsby is worth a go.

I don't know about Martina Cole - I haven't read any of hers, but if she's a quick read keep a few so you've got something to carry in your bag for when your waiting at the docs/dentist/bus stop.

MissyPie Thu 06-Jan-11 20:44:54

Martina Cole is brilliant - I love her books!

Start with Dangerous Lady and then read the sequel Mauras Game.

I am not a great reader and generally kept to Marian Keyes or Cecilia Ahern and such likes, but martina cole is great.

I liked delving into the underworld, with murder/prostitution/bent coppers/gangland killings etc. She certainly pulls no punches
with her stories, and she admirably tackles difficult situations such as child abuse and rape.

I'm confident that when you start, you won't want to put it down - there are many books by Martina Cole -in fact I got one for Christmas which I havn't started yet (thansk for reminding me!!!! Perhaps I'll spend less time on here and more time reading!

MissyPie Thu 06-Jan-11 20:46:03

Like I said, I'm not a keen reader so tend to read quite light books - I dont have the attention to read anything more heavy

arentfanny Thu 06-Jan-11 20:46:11

Reaquaint yourself with your local library before it goes.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: