Talk

Advanced search

Book suggestons for new Book Group

(7 Posts)
VerintheWhite Wed 05-Jan-11 14:17:59

As per the title really, we are in the process of setting up our group and ordering books from the library. We have a few classics in the list but as we have no experience of talking in a group about a book we dont really know which books 'work'. Please suggest some!

tillyfernackerpants Wed 05-Jan-11 14:31:57

It depends on how you want your group to run really! Ours is run by the library so they tend to choose them with some input from us. Others I know take it in turns to pick a book each, and one group do a lucky dip with one person picking out a title/author/genre of the next book.

One thing I will suggest is to try to pick different genres and authors to what you might normally read as otherwise it does get a little dull! We got a new librarian who was dealing with our selections and I think about 4 or 5 books in a row were very similar.

hth & have fun smile

CDMforever Wed 05-Jan-11 20:12:29

The Other Hand by Chris Cleave got our book group talking!

LovelyJudy Wed 05-Jan-11 20:16:58

ours too loved the other hand. are in my bookgroup cdm?

we need to talk about kevin is a classic bookgroup book. another one we all enjoyed and had lots to say about was St. Agnes' Stand. we do that the host offers 3 suggestions and the group picks one by consensus. the host is whoever volunteers at the end of the previous get together, which take place about once a month.

CDMforever Wed 05-Jan-11 20:21:20

Not guilty LovelyJudy. We haven't read the other books you just mentioned, tho we might now!

natto Wed 05-Jan-11 20:45:26

'We need to talk about Kevin' was also our book group's best for discussion. Also had some good chats about the really rubbish books too though to be honest, I don't think you can always predict which ones will spark the debate.

LovelyJudy Wed 05-Jan-11 21:14:27

i agree natto. shockingly awful books can be great. the worst ones for discussion are often the current flavour of the month ones, the 3 for 2 at waterstones type ones. we read them, they barely feature in the conversation and then they are rapidly forgotten.

i've never managed to persuade my group to read Douglas coupland but personally i think they'd make great fodder±

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now