Talk

Advanced search

My Family and Other Animals

(12 Posts)
PutOnThePan Thu 23-Dec-10 12:34:27

Rereading this for local book club.

I thought I would enjoy it, but to say it is dull would be an understatement!

I don't think it is particularly helpful to nature even in the context of it's time and everyting is over described or inappropriately metaphorred!

Am I going to be universaly hated at my next meeting or can anyone say something to help me see the good?!

Dumbledoresfairy Thu 23-Dec-10 12:36:36

The only good bits are the "family" bits. I am not sure which of his books this incident is in, but I laugh till I cried every time I read about Leslie shooting swallows off the roof at the same time as mother was entertaining the local animal rights woman.

And Larry is always good for a laugh.

But yes, the "animals" bit was always dull.

PutOnThePan Thu 23-Dec-10 15:49:28

Yes, I did laugh out loud when Larry tried to do a left-right and fell in the bog!

ItsKurriiiistmas Thu 23-Dec-10 17:35:46

I loved all Gerald Durrell's books as a child - especially MFAOA, I loved the animal bits (but I was quite a nature geek - still amgrin)

I think you really get a sense of the pace of life on a Greek island, local characters, the endless summer days of childhood, and a view of a quintessentially English family of eccentrics.

mdavza Sat 08-Jan-11 13:25:34

I loved it as a child, it made me long for living on a remote island. I have such fond memories of it, but now I would find it very boring. I don't think it is a book for adults, tbh.

basildonbond Sat 08-Jan-11 21:26:25

ds1 (13) is reading it at the moment and enjoying it - surprising as he normally likes 'action' ...

it is published by Puffin though which I suppose gives you an idea of the publisher's target demographic

PonceyMcPonce Sat 08-Jan-11 21:28:38

I always loved it.

ThornTree Sun 09-Jan-11 11:48:08

Loved it and all his books as a child and now probably because I can relate so closely to having a houseful of weird and wonderful creatures.
I grew up abroad and couldn't bare to turn away the waifs and strays that were orphaned and needed hand rearing.

I got into trouble at school for releasing all the toads the class had collected for dissection!
And I was made chief "rabbit sexer" as the school rabbits kept multiplying out of control!blush

zeus123 Sun 09-Jan-11 22:27:43

it is on dds shelf to read.. I havent read it myself.

MissBeehiving Sun 09-Jan-11 22:30:58

I loved the descriptions of all the animals - how can you not love 2 dogs called Widdle and Puke?

SparklyJules Sun 09-Jan-11 22:34:12

I enjoyed this, but think I was about ten when I read it!

FranSanDisco Mon 10-Jan-11 11:37:54

I bought this for dd (10 yo) and read it myself on holiday this christmas. Enjoyed it though took a while to get into it, probably because of all the description. The mother was just so patient and laid back - not at all like myself blush.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now