Talk

Advanced search

Colm Toibin

(6 Posts)
Longstocking2 Mon 20-Dec-10 14:58:00

Have become besotted with this author's books, really besotted.
Read the Blackwater Lightship, now reading The Master and just want to read everything he's written.
Such brilliant writing.
I'm reading Brooklyn next.

solongandthanksfor Tue 21-Dec-10 18:02:11

I agree. I am mystified as to how someone who writes in such a plain, unadorned unflashy style can write books so compelling.

I totally recommend Brooklyn. I do find it interesting though how many people just don't get Colm Toibin - some friends of mine who have similar reading tastes really don't get him at all, don't see the point of his books.

I saw him this year at the Edinburgh Book Festival - he was lovely and funny, and not at all like any of his characters!

beachholiday Tue 21-Dec-10 18:34:03

Blackwater Lightship was amazing, and The Heather Blazing.

Longstocking2 Wed 22-Dec-10 10:08:21

Thanks solongand and beach, I feel the same. Other people say they liked Brooklyn but no one seems to be as deranged with worship as I am! grin
I think he's a genius and I can't see how or what he's doing, he's just fabulous.
I've heard him interviewed he's so funny and deep isn't he, he has masses of that classic Irish charm don't you think?

Lucifera Wed 22-Dec-10 13:28:12

yes agreed he is brilliant and comes across as a nice chap in interviews.

beachholiday Wed 22-Dec-10 19:13:17

There are quite a few radio 4 podcasts avaliable by him on various topics www.bbc.co.uk/search/?q=colm%20toibin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: