Talk

Advanced search

Catherine Fox - any similar recommendations?

(7 Posts)
Chocaholica Sun 05-Dec-10 21:17:02

Some years ago my mum and I read Catherine Fox's three novels and both liked them - she really liked them. I have been trying to find a similar writer to buy her a book for Christmas but am failing! Does anyone have any recommendations?

I know her novels feature C of E contexts, but it's not the religous part that interests my mum so much as the style. Something more thoughtful than chicklit... does anyone have any thoughts?

dweezle Wed 08-Dec-10 16:19:56

I love Catherine Fox, especially Angels and Men (Johnny Whittaker makes me go weak at the knees - I see him as a cross between Richard Armitage and Sean Bean.......)

Have you read any Barbara Trapido. Start with Brother of the More Famous Jack. I also think some of Elinor Lipman's novels may be of interest - slightly more chic lit than the others, but a good read.

Penelope Fitzgerald?

UnquietDad Wed 08-Dec-10 16:24:38

I quite liked Angels and men but it didn't half go on a bit. The heroine started to annoy me after a while. Haven't read her two sequels.

Penelope Lively?

Chocaholica Wed 08-Dec-10 21:15:42

Thanks for the recommendations! I've been looking at the suggestions on Amazon. Penelope Lively I have heard of, obviously, but somehow never read - her stuff looks good - what would you recommend as a starting point? I'd never heard of Elinor Lipman but she looks like someone my mum would definitely go for.

Barbara Trapido I LOVE. I have heard her two readings from her novels twice, albeit ten years ago, and I think I have all her books.

Hmm, Mara isnt too likeable a heroine, but I liked Angels and Men anyway. It is kind of sad to see her in Love for the Lost almost being cheated on by Johnny....

UnquietDad Wed 08-Dec-10 23:55:43

Well, I liked all her pre-Booker ones - Perfect Happiness, Treasures of Time and so on - but I was very young when I read them. Currently trying her new one and the smug middle-classness of it is annoying me intensely! Still think Moon Tiger is very good though.

Chocaholica Thu 09-Dec-10 07:32:25

OK, I'll go for Moon Tiger or an early one.

Going to do an Amazon order later... assuming the deliveries can make it through the snow before Christmas...

Chocaholica Sat 11-Dec-10 18:37:32

Didn't do the Amazon order as remembered that amidst the snow around here, delivery vans are unable/unwilling to deliver. The snow has since melted, but I've been into Waterstones today and started Moon Tiger - it's really compelling. Thank you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now