Advanced search

Colm Toibin any fans out there?

(15 Posts)
Longstocking2 Fri 26-Nov-10 11:20:55

Just read The Blackwater Lightship he's so good

Longstocking2 Fri 26-Nov-10 11:21:41

sorry for double post!

gailforce1 Fri 26-Nov-10 14:43:10

Does anyone know the title of his new book?

lalalonglegs Fri 26-Nov-10 14:45:20

The Empty Family: Stories. I don't think I'll bother with it - I've only read Brooklyn and wasn't bowled over by it.

winnybella Fri 26-Nov-10 14:49:58

The Master is great- it's Henry James's fictionalized bioghraphy. IIRC it came out at the same time as David Lodge's 'Author, author'-also about HJ.

RabbitAndCo Fri 26-Nov-10 14:53:39

Yes yes loved The Master

Longstocking2 Fri 26-Nov-10 16:23:52

I heard him on the radio and he has the best voice in the world and yet other people read his audiobooks.
Just ordered the Master, looking forward to it. It's a proper literary crush.

sparklyjewlz Fri 26-Nov-10 16:26:06

I really enjoyed "Brooklyn"; but not evryone in my book club did.

krisskross Fri 26-Nov-10 16:27:37

loved brroklyn but found blackwater lightship bit boring.

Longstocking2 Fri 26-Nov-10 16:35:18

krisskross I wonder whether it might be an age thing? As I get older I am more tolerant of this kind of bleakness, in the Blackwater Lightship, and familial strife!
I think I wouldn't have bothered if I were even five years younger.

sieglinde Fri 26-Nov-10 17:02:23

I'm reading Brooklyn now and loving it. Loved The Master too.

swanriver Fri 26-Nov-10 17:11:59

loved The Master (bits of it were funny too shock well darkly funny) and another one called The Heather is Blazing about an Irish judge (maybe got the title wrong?)not funny but v.affecting.
Brooklyn took a while to grow on me. Had to read it at least twice to see the point.
tbh I find his descriptions of heretosexual (sp?) relationships a bit odd, other sorts of relationships much more convincing
I also like his articles, where he gets chance to be thoroughly academic, funny and dangerous all at once.

Longstocking2 Sat 27-Nov-10 12:02:12

I'm now reading 'signs of the cross, travels in catholic europe' which is so good. I just love way he writes.
Still waiting for the Master to arrive, it sounds really good.

Longstocking2 Sat 27-Nov-10 12:04:56

I think he's very funny at times, too. He captures that Irish humour which I like very much. I think of it as a kind of wry, gentle, dry piss taking, usually coming a little from leftfield, maybe more teasing than piss taking.
I often notice that Irish people really don't want to let go of a chance to have a laugh where English people seem often more happy to let subjects and opportunities for laughter go on occasion.
I

redandgreen Mon 29-Nov-10 22:57:58

Absolutely loved blackwater lightship, the Heather blazing and Brooklyn. He has so much affection for his characters and creates so much tension with absolutely no melodrama.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: