Talk

Advanced search

Just out of interest, what woud you buy...

(9 Posts)
posey Tue 23-Nov-10 15:43:25

if you had a £40 book token given to you?

I had 2 birthday presents, £20 each, and am really enjoying deciding what to get.

ragged Tue 23-Nov-10 18:05:16

I am pants, I always recycle those sorts of tokens to DC teachers or buy needed books with them (like pressies for DC, or textbooks for me). There is nowhere to use them locally and it's a hassle to get to a shop that does take them.

But if I was really going to treat myself (actually I did do this last year) I would just enjoy the luxury of browsing at length at Waterstones and buy a load of their books that enticed me. Especially popular science books (although I realise that's non-fiction).

Itsjustafleshwound Tue 23-Nov-10 18:07:48

I usually use them to buy reference books - a book of quotes, Atlas, coffee table book - all the others I can get from the library.

BelligerentGhoul Tue 23-Nov-10 18:28:34

A cookery book - I want a Simon Rimmer veggie one;
The new Stephen King;
a fat history book of some sort;
a lovely notebook;
Bill Bryson's two - one about language and one about America because I lent my copies to somebody years ago and never got them back.

anotherbrickinthewall Tue 23-Nov-10 22:02:33

obscure translated crime fiction (or the odd US or Oz book) that the library is unlikely to have. If unredeemable at Amazon, would most likely go to Waterstones.

DandyDan Wed 24-Nov-10 09:47:01

If they were general book tokens, I would order some science books - genetics/evolution/development of the brain/memory; or a couple of lovely history books on my favourite period.

Though these days, even regular paperbacks can cost upwards of £8.99, so that's only four books of the normal sort. If you don't buy books often, I'd buy a couple now, and save the other token for when other books you're interested in, come out in paperback (if they're recent).

IamKatiePrice Wed 24-Nov-10 09:51:03

get this books from amazone

posey Wed 24-Nov-10 14:25:54

So quite a lot of high-brow, mind enhancng stuff...(except the Katie Price of course!)
Still undecided. Not really seeking inspiration and I know they don't expire, just interested in how other's would choose to treat themselves smile

porkchops Tue 07-Dec-10 01:52:39

Philip Roth's new one.
The Guernsey Potato Peel Pie Society because I read a copy from the library and just loved it so very much.
and I'd hang onto the change (if there was any) in case anything amazing came out in Jan.
(unless I was distracted by the new Seamus Heany collection)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now