Talk

Advanced search

Room

(17 Posts)
Kitta Tue 09-Nov-10 21:55:05

Has anyone else read this?
What did you think, I don't want to say too much about it incase it spoils it for you, but it's good

londonartemis Tue 09-Nov-10 21:57:54

Who by?

Kitta Wed 10-Nov-10 12:28:08

Sorry it's by Emma Donoghue, it's a story told from the point of view of a child.
A bit like the Dog barked at midnight

Goandplay Sat 13-Nov-10 16:45:28

I read this and like it very much. Despite the nature of the story O found some parts made me laugh out loud and I thought the author managed a 5 yo telling the story very well.

I like the way some parts you would read and then it would dawn on you what they were actually doing - the mother shouting out the skylight every day and flashing a light on and off.

When it came to the escape I felt genuinely worried for them both and I have often wondered what I would have done in that position.

I thought the characters were realistic.

Very enjoyable book.

tgifandgandttime Sat 22-Jan-11 18:50:48

Enjoyed Room - looking forward to hearing ED at Tonbridge Library soon www.whatsoninkentlocal.com/all/details/20332/

tummytickler Sun 23-Jan-11 12:19:28

Does it have a reasonably happy ending? It is a bit lame, but I really need something with a happy ending, though interesting read.
I have wanted to read it, but can't cope with anything too sad at the mo! grin

CupcakesHay Mon 24-Jan-11 00:13:03

it's brilliant. Def so so so so good. I read it pretty much in a day and a half (obviously did other things in between!)

but it's brilliant. And not too depressing.

crispface Mon 24-Jan-11 19:46:15

have just finished it - thought it was amazing, very funny, very thought-provoking, easy read and not overly depressing, the ending leaves room for another follow-on book (IME)

nightshade Mon 24-Jan-11 19:55:54

loved it, loved it, loved it. no crappy half baked endings and a real insight into what great parenting can be in extreme circumstances.

mercibien Mon 24-Jan-11 20:03:26

I read this yesterday and couldn't put it down! I thought Jack's voice was so real and the mother/child bond wonderfully drawn,and I got so caught up in the action my heart was in my mouth at times
I was also in tears reading about Ma's disappearance, as I've got DDs that sort of age.
I felt the ending was appropriate,with hope in sight for them both.
( I think i'll remember Jack for along time and wonder how he's getting along)

Deaddei Mon 24-Jan-11 21:09:39

I finished it last night and was quite disappointed.
I felt the escape was a bit contrived, and it fizzled out at the end.
I did like the way things became apparent as the book went along.
I did find Jack a bit annoying and precocious.
A good read overall but I think it's a bit overhyped.

oftenpurple Tue 25-Jan-11 04:35:10

Have been thinking about getting this but it seems to have mixed reviews on Amazon. Might give it a go then.

Milliways Wed 20-Jul-11 22:42:45

I just read this in one day on holiday - thought it was really good (and so different as well).

A definite recommend here smile

RidinOnAPig Sat 23-Jul-11 19:15:44

I finished it last week and really enjoyed it. Not as difficult a read as I thought.

Love the portrayal of extended bf from a childs point of view!

ClaireDeLoon Sat 23-Jul-11 19:17:54

I started to read this and had to stop as the style just annoyed the hell out of me.

cornsilx Mon 22-Aug-11 09:10:21

I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would. Some of the characters really annoyed me - the grandmother seemed to have little empathy. The brother and SIL were morons.

BrightSkye Tue 23-Aug-11 22:56:40

I did enjoy Room but at times found it so irritating. The CONSTANT references to breast feeding and the inconsistant way in which Jack speaks (one minute he's reeling off big words that someone his age wouldn't normally know and the next minute he's struggling to pronounce simple words right). I also found Ma quite annoying but I suppose giving what she's been through it would be unrealistic if Ma was a completely undamaged and lovely person.

On the whole, I'm glad I read it but I don't think it's as amazing as everyone says it is.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now