Talk

Advanced search

Jonathan Franzen - Freedom

(11 Posts)
BeckyBendyLegs Wed 03-Nov-10 13:12:15

I've just finished this. Anyone else read / reading it? What do you think? I think I really liked it, but it kind of irritated me too! So I'm not sure yet what I thought really. I can't work out whether he's a genius or not!

DukesOfTripHazard Thu 04-Nov-10 13:29:16

Oh Lord. I am mid-irritation and already know what you mean. He IS a genius but I only know that from reading The Corrections, twice. Freedom is not a patch on it.

fedupwithdeployment Thu 04-Nov-10 13:33:35

Can I ask if you have read the Slap, and if so what you thought? I enjoyed the corrections, but am ambivalent about the Slap. Not yet read Freedom, but probably will when it is in paperback.

blouseenthusiast Thu 04-Nov-10 13:35:37

The Slap is someone else. Agree freedom disappoointing after Corrections

fedupwithdeployment Thu 04-Nov-10 13:43:09

Very different author - Australian of Greek origin, but he has been compared with Franzen.

thighsmadeofcheddar Thu 04-Nov-10 13:43:51

How disappointing, I loved The Corrections.

BeckyBendyLegs Fri 05-Nov-10 11:37:59

I thought the Slap was pretty crap! (As blouseenthusiast says not by Franzen - some Australian chappy.)

thegirlwiththemouseyhair Fri 05-Nov-10 18:02:26

I'm about half way through and I am loving it.
That man sure knows how to put a sentence together smile

DukesOfTripHazard Sat 06-Nov-10 15:44:01

Stop press.... I have read from around page 300 to 500 since i last posted and things are really coming together. I've had my first laugh out loud and a couple of moments of utter Franzen magic.

deaddei Sun 07-Nov-10 19:06:58

Just bought Freedom - am saving it for spa break next month.
Loved the Corrections.

thegirlwiththemouseyhair Fri 19-Nov-10 20:32:20

Just finished it.
Really REALLY loved it.
I'm a bit sad now sad

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: