Talk

Advanced search

Jonathan Franzen - Freedom

(11 Posts)
BeckyBendyLegs Wed 03-Nov-10 13:12:15

I've just finished this. Anyone else read / reading it? What do you think? I think I really liked it, but it kind of irritated me too! So I'm not sure yet what I thought really. I can't work out whether he's a genius or not!

DukesOfTripHazard Thu 04-Nov-10 13:29:16

Oh Lord. I am mid-irritation and already know what you mean. He IS a genius but I only know that from reading The Corrections, twice. Freedom is not a patch on it.

fedupwithdeployment Thu 04-Nov-10 13:33:35

Can I ask if you have read the Slap, and if so what you thought? I enjoyed the corrections, but am ambivalent about the Slap. Not yet read Freedom, but probably will when it is in paperback.

blouseenthusiast Thu 04-Nov-10 13:35:37

The Slap is someone else. Agree freedom disappoointing after Corrections

fedupwithdeployment Thu 04-Nov-10 13:43:09

Very different author - Australian of Greek origin, but he has been compared with Franzen.

thighsmadeofcheddar Thu 04-Nov-10 13:43:51

How disappointing, I loved The Corrections.

BeckyBendyLegs Fri 05-Nov-10 11:37:59

I thought the Slap was pretty crap! (As blouseenthusiast says not by Franzen - some Australian chappy.)

thegirlwiththemouseyhair Fri 05-Nov-10 18:02:26

I'm about half way through and I am loving it.
That man sure knows how to put a sentence together smile

DukesOfTripHazard Sat 06-Nov-10 15:44:01

Stop press.... I have read from around page 300 to 500 since i last posted and things are really coming together. I've had my first laugh out loud and a couple of moments of utter Franzen magic.

deaddei Sun 07-Nov-10 19:06:58

Just bought Freedom - am saving it for spa break next month.
Loved the Corrections.

thegirlwiththemouseyhair Fri 19-Nov-10 20:32:20

Just finished it.
Really REALLY loved it.
I'm a bit sad now sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now