Talk

Advanced search

The recipes thread

(16 Posts)
EditEcho Thu 30-Mar-17 09:31:56

I'm starting this off!

Tonight chez echo we are having:
Cod (1sp) topped with a tsp of harissa mixed with half a tsp of honey (1sp)
Roast sweet potato wedges (5sp)
Minty pea purée- 80g peas per person, pureed with 1tbsp natural yoghurt and mint (4sp)

IggyStrop Thu 30-Mar-17 14:44:11

Thanks for starting this thread.

I don't really have any recipes yet but one of my go-to favourites is Vietnamese spring rolls.

Rice paper wraps - generally two for a point but depends on the size.
Loads of barely-cooked crisp veges - grated carrot, thinly sliced pepper, broccoli, bean sprouts, lettuce etc.
protein - marinated chicken, tofu etc
sauce - anything you want but a low point version could be simple soy sauce with honey and ginger, lime to squeeze on the side.

Soak the papers in hot water for a few seconds and wrap up with fillings inside. We usually put everything out on the table and make them up as we go.

Points vary due to ingredients but generally very low.

sez49 Thu 30-Mar-17 16:17:53

Yes, thanks for starting this thread. Great ideas here already!

Lemon Drizzle Cake (I am struggling with a sweet tooth at the moment!)

50g self raising flour, 45g granulated sweetener, 5 medium eggs, 2 lemons. Put flour in a bowl with 30g of sweetener. Squeeze juice from 1 lemon and add to bowl. Add zest from both lemons. Separate eggs. Add beaten yolks to mixture and put whites in separate bowl. I give mix a good stir at this point. Whisk egg whites until they form soft peaks. Fold them into the mixture. Put in a cake tin. I use a loaf shaped one. Bake for 20-30mins on 180C until golden brown. Leave to cool a little. Mix the juice from the remaining lemon, with remaining 15g sweetener. Pour over the top of the cake and bake for further 10 mins.

I cut mine into 4 or 8 depending on how I feel. I use Granulated Canderel. Points may vary slightly depending on sweetener used. Mine works out at 14sp for the whole lot, or 2sp per piece if cut into 8, 4sp if cut into 4. It does raise quite a bit in the oven, but flattens down a bit when cooled.

wintersdawn Thu 30-Mar-17 16:26:15

Oh lemon cake looks lovely. I've a sweet craving at the moment as well.

We are trying turkey sausages (4sp for two) with carrot and potato mash (100g pots 2sp) and broccoli tonight. I'm not convinced that the sausages will taste of much but willing try once.

dorothymichaels Thu 30-Mar-17 19:22:48

My lentil lasagne copied from other thread.

Chop and saute an onion and a grated carrot in spray oil for about 10mins until soft
Add 1 tin tomatoes, a good squirt of tom puree, some mixed herbs, 100g red lentils
Then fill tomato tin with water and add that, along with veg stock cube
Simmer until lentils are soft.

White sauce - basic white sauce recipe. I use all together 2oz butter, 2oz plain four, 1 pint milk. Whisk all together over a low heat until thick.
Add 100g cheddar (low fat might bring points down)

Layer lasagne, lentil sauce, white sauce - finish with white sauce. You can slice some tomatoes on top if you like. I used 12 lasagne slices.

Bake at about 190-200 degrees for 45mins until brown on top.
Serves 6 at 10SP each with salad or fresh veg.

DexysRunnerMidnight Thu 30-Mar-17 20:54:25

skinnykitchensecrets.com/

You can sort by cuisine or by food (beef / fish / veggie).

I also like the '2chubbycubs' website, although it's for slimming world. You can convert the points if you have the app / have online BUT you need to find the low-carb and low-dairy stuff (you are allowed a daily allowance of carbs and dairy on SW so many of their points are low in 'syns' but high in smart points!)

twinmummy25 Thu 30-Mar-17 21:29:40

Loving the sound of the lentil lasagne! The protein cheese will lower the points value too which is a bonus :-)

EditEcho Thu 30-Mar-17 22:03:24

Lentil lasagne sounds fantastic! I'll be converting some more recipes into smart points over the next few days and I'll update!

wintersdawn Fri 31-Mar-17 10:38:44

Dexy thanks for that link some of the recipes look lovely.

DexysRunnerMidnight Fri 31-Mar-17 11:10:50

They are wonderful! I live off those recipes (and the WW magazine).

EditEcho Sun 02-Apr-17 00:54:13

Tonight I made buckwheat paella for 7sp. Buckwheat groats are higher protein than most grains so lower smart points (and delicious!). Added lots of extra veg too.

dorothymichaels Mon 03-Apr-17 10:55:03

Ooh I'm making that paella next week! Where did you get the buckwheat @EditEcho ?

EditEcho Mon 03-Apr-17 10:58:39

I get it in planet organic, it's actually pretty cheap though.

Last night I made the Asian chicken meatballs from this months WW magazine- delicious!

dorothymichaels Mon 03-Apr-17 11:02:39

Thanks, I'll look out for it. I love paella. I make one from my vegetarian cookbook - must point that up.

dorothymichaels Thu 06-Apr-17 07:43:03

Easy Turkey meatloaf

Blitz a carrot, an onion, a stick of celery in food processor or chop finely.
Soften in spray oil for about 10 minutes on a low heat. Crumble in an oxo chicken stock cube. Leave to cool.
Add 1 pack of turkey thigh mince (7% fat is tastier), 1 egg, 2 crumbled dutch crisp bake crackers (or just equal amount of breadcrumbs), a squirt of tomato puree, some mixed herbs, and season well with salt and pepper.
Press into a baking dish.
Bake at 200C for about 40 minutes until coming away from edges of dish and brown on top.

4SP if you make 6 portions, 6 if you are greedy like me and have a quarter.

Mix would also make turkey burgers.

I ate with brown rice (6SP) and roasted butternut squash (free)

dorothymichaels Thu 06-Apr-17 07:48:57

Veggie satay noodle stir fry (serves 2 at 12 SP each)

Mix together - 3 tbsp crunchy peanut butter, 3tbsp sweet chilli sauce, 2tbsp soy sauce. Loosen this mix with a bit of warm water and stir really well. This is your stir fry sauce.

Cook 2 nests of noodles.

Stir fry free veg of your choosing (I'm lazy and use a packet stir fry) then add noodles and sauce.
You could add chicken or quorn/tofu to this for extra protein.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now