Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone successfully lost weight while breastfeeding?

(17 Posts)
babyblabber Sun 30-Oct-16 19:52:59

Planning ahead but DC4 due early next year. I'm one of those people who is either on a diet or really not, terrible at balance. Have lost weight with WW before but tried after last baby and couldn't keep it up.

The thing is when I'm breastfeeding I'm always hungry and there's only so much protein I can stomach! Also hard to prep everything from scratch with a baby and other kids so although dinner is always homemade, it's so much easier to eat a cheese roll for lunch than make soup! And I'm a fiend for chocolate! So I usually actually put on weight in the first few months after having a baby!

This is my last baby and I would love to get stuck into losing the weight and getting my body back asap. Never really lost much after DC3 so have a long way to go. Any success stories for me?

PlugUgly Sun 30-Oct-16 19:59:08

Lost SO much weight breast feeding one of mine but not the others, literally dropped off me so fast I thought I might be ill. It didn't happen straight away though, it was when she was about 3 months old onwards that the pregnancy weight started to fall off, perhaps as the amount she was having increased , fed her for 14months, worked for me, good luck!

WineCheeseSleep Sun 30-Oct-16 20:00:14

I know you posted in Weight Watchers but I have lost over a stone so far logging calories with My Fitness Pal. DD is 4 months old and I started 2 months ago. I've lost the baby weight now but carrying on.

I set myself a calorie target of 1800 a day after checking on Kellymom.com what I should be eating at a minimum. This gives me plenty to work with as long as I cut out the snacks and I'm really enjoying it. I don't know if it works for everyone but it's suiting me and I was a serial dieter before.

gillyweed Sun 30-Oct-16 20:01:00

Hmmm not really. I'm on baby number 3, she's about 4 months and all I've done is put weight on. It's a combination of having no energy or time to try, craving sweet stuff and my appetite being bigger. But the main problem for me is that my body clings to the fat when I'm feeding, and I've accepted that.

When I had my first I got married a year later, I really stuck to ww as i wanted to look my best, but there was a noticeable change when weaning commenced and that'd when the plan really started to work and u started to lose.

I've started making small steps, eating more veg, trying not to snack etc. But I won't really try and lose weight properly till we wean. Sorry probably not what you want to hear!

PlugUgly Sun 30-Oct-16 20:44:09

Lost SO much weight breast feeding one of mine but not the others, literally dropped off me so fast I thought I might be ill. It didn't happen straight away though, it was when she was about 3 months old onwards that the pregnancy weight started to fall off, perhaps as the amount she was having increased , fed her for 14months, worked for me, good luck!

PlugUgly Sun 30-Oct-16 20:46:04

Apologies for the double post! Phone glitch

Suzietwo Sun 30-Oct-16 20:51:34

Yes, I've done it with each baby so 4 times, but I have to work at it. It's not a case of 'oh the weight just falls off because I'm feeding'. I stick to a huge calorie deficit and time calorie intake to an hour or two before a feed to keep up supply. Lost around 20lbs in the last 2 months- bubs is almost 5 months

babyblabber Mon 31-Oct-16 07:18:05

Thanks all, dreading the struggle but looking forward to the results!

Gillyweed that's interesting re it really kicking in when you gave up feeding, the reason I quit last time was I felt I was putting in so much effort with negligible results so maybe I'm the same.

Just going to going to really try me best (she says while getting a full night's sleep!)

coocoocachew Mon 31-Oct-16 07:34:25

My efb baby is five months old and although I'm a healthy bmi, I haven't lost any weight for about 3 months... I tried to use my fitness pal and limit calorie intake to about 1400 (which I didn't think was excessive!) but I got really sick - dizzy, headaches etc and my baby got upset too which I think was because my supply dropped sad so I'm back to eating prolly about 2000 calories a day... I thought that since I'm EFB I'd lose weight easier... going to start going on more walks I think and will change my diet once baby is weaned...

2016Bambino Tue 08-Nov-16 07:17:12

I lost 19lbs on WW whilst EBF. I got 52 points a day and tried to avoid sugary stuff and the weight just dropped off. Before WW I'd been eating loads of chocolate, muffins etc and switched to more protein and things like nut butters for treats.
Got fed up after 4 months and switched to Lean in 15 and 2 st lost now. My daughter is 9 months now and I'm feeding once/ twice a day.

JC23 Tue 08-Nov-16 07:20:05

I couldn't keep weight on while breastfeeding. Loved my breastfeeding body! Big boobs and a flat tummy! Started to gain pretty fast when I cut down to two feeds a day without changing my diet though

LittleSausageFingers Tue 08-Nov-16 08:10:08

I started WW when my EBF DD was 5 months old, and i was 9lb over pre-pregnancy weight. Took me about a month to lose the 9lb, and I lost another stone in about 2 months. That was with quite a few weekends off as well.

greenlizard Fri 03-Feb-17 09:24:54

I have been on WW for 4 weeks and ebf6ny 13 week old baby. I have lost 10lb so far in total. I have found it OK and probably better as I am eating way more fruit and veg that before. I am also making sure that I eat enough carbs/protein to stop me feeling hungry after feeding and being up all night. I have also started exercising which is helping.

MumBod Fri 03-Feb-17 09:26:58

Yes, me. I did Slimming World when I was breastfeeding - 18 years ago, mind.

The weight bloody flew off me. It was marvellous.

<wonders about wet nursing opportunities in the area>

toastedbeagle Tue 07-Feb-17 17:42:01

I lost 35 lbs breastfeeding whilst on WW - I had to make some changes e.g. Don't eat 12 Jaffa cakes a night but on the whole found it easy due to large points allowance.

Stopped feeding last April but "forgot" to reduce intake of food... gained 1 stone over the next 8 months.

Now started tracking again and working out for the first time in years and hopefully will lose it again!! Good luck.

Kernow1969 Sun 26-Feb-17 06:26:13

I lost 5 stone 7 lbs with Weight Watchers while breastfeeding. Went onto full fat milk so I could swap back to skimmed as my weight fell and points allowance dropped.No problem with milk supply.

Firefries Sun 26-Feb-17 06:34:36

Yes I lost loads of weight after having second child - lost the weight I had put on with first and second child. Did it with weight watchers. I found it really easy too. Best decision I made. I'd recommend it. Breastfed till dc2 was about 15 months. It worked well under their guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now