Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

BREASTFEEDING AND DIETING

(11 Posts)
peachskin Wed 03-Aug-05 11:04:02

Hi - my DS is 14 months old and still breastfed.

Has anyone successfully lost weight while breastfeeding ?

I lost almost all the weight I had gained while pregnant (I was 83 kilos in the last stage of pregnancy and went down to 70 kilos within 2 weeks after child birth - all due to breastfeeding not beacuse I was eating less !!).

But I am still overweight (by around 10 kilos I think that's 20 pounds ?).

I have joined ww and using their home programme. After a couple of days of dieting I feel really hungry during the night which wakes me up. Last night I woke up 3 times with hunger and ended up eating 1.5 bananas and 3 biscuits.

Does anyone have any suggestions how I can ward off hunger during the night ? The lack of sleep is going to make me tired and when I am over tired I over eat to find energy. The funny thing is I am doing really wel during the day with the diet, so I want to keep going.

Help !!

aloha Wed 03-Aug-05 11:05:02

I suspect you need more calories - lucky you!

BarefootMama Wed 03-Aug-05 11:06:09

I never lose weight until i have finished breastfeeding and the longer i feed the longer it seems to stay afterwards!!Sorry!

bonym Wed 03-Aug-05 11:16:09

Hi - I've lost a stone since giving birth 20 weeks ago. I put it down to two things:

Lots of walking with the pram.
Following the Paul McKenna weight loss plan - in a nutshell, eat whatever you like, BUT, eat only when you are hungry, stop when you are full and enjoy every mouthful. Don't worry about leaving food on your plate. I can't do diets so this works really well for me and is common sense really.

Worth a try?

peachskin Wed 03-Aug-05 14:47:49

Barefoot - oh dear ! I thought so. Thing is I don't want to stop bf until my baby wants to, but that might be when he is 4 years old.....??? by which time I will be 40 and will find it even harder to lose weight at that grand old age !!

Usually I lose weight very quickly - once I start a diet the pounds just fall off. But finding it really difficult now with hunger in the middle of the night.

bonym - thanks for the advice too. I am not very good at leaving food on my plate though which is why I need something that counts points or calories otherwise I over-eat.

I agree with the exercise thing though. Not very good at that either, but now have a post-preg. video so trying to do that every day. So let's hope that works !!

Any one else with a suggestion about middle of night hunger ?

jenk1 Wed 03-Aug-05 20:27:52

hello peachskin, im still feeding my dd who is almost 16months old. i have recently joined slimming world and to date have lost 4 pounds in 2 weeks. I am not hungry as there is loads of "free" foods to fill up with and i am allowed extra bread,cheese etc. cant offer u anymore advice im afraid only to say i was hungry during the first week but that was because i wasnt eating enough but i am ok now because i just eat extra of what i,m allowed hope this helps

peachskin Wed 03-Aug-05 20:46:40

jenk1 - thanks for that encouraging news ! Is slimming world similar to weight watchers ?

I would like to stick to ww because I have lost alot of weight with them before plus I have already paid quite alot for their home package

WW recommend that you eat an extra 5 points a day when breastfeeding. I think I might try to save up my points for later in the evening so that I don't get hungry late at night. It would mean less during the day which I think I can survive.

Like you say I think the first week is hard and then your stomach gets used to eating less !

Good luck with your programme, sounds like you are doing really well !

Feffi Wed 03-Aug-05 20:51:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

bonym Thu 04-Aug-05 16:31:20

Another good tip - when you feel hungry, have a glass of water first as you may actually just be thirsty (the brain sometimes "reads" thirst as hunger. I find this works for me if I wake up hungry in the night.

Yorkiegirl Thu 04-Aug-05 16:36:35

Message withdrawn

peachskin Thu 04-Aug-05 21:30:24

Hi all - thanks for your advice. I have looked at Slimming World's 7 day menu on the net. The concept is very similar to ww (eat as much of the list of "free foods" as you like, etc. - no need to count calories).

I think I am going to save my "points" for later in the evening - i.e eat more in the evening and less during the day. I know most people suggest sleeping light, but that just doesn't seem to be working for me.

I think the problem is that I over-eat when I am tired and if I cut everything out I can't sleep and so it goes on and on and I just can't stick to a diet long enough to lose weight.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now