Talk

Advanced search

is anyone a Dietitian, help needed please x

(13 Posts)
nikcola Tue 02-Aug-05 13:31:35

i went to the docs today to get results of my blood test last week all is clear so i can start dieting, i need to lose at least 5 stone but im going to take it a stone at a time! he has given me some fat burning tabs and told me to do 20 mins exercise each day, he has refrered me to a Dietitian but it will take ages, is anyone here a Dietitian and can give me some advice on a eating plan, i have had issuse with food since i was 14 i used to be bulemic and dont want to get in that trap again ,,,

Furball Tue 02-Aug-05 13:36:48

Am not a dietician, but I am aware of healthy eating. What is a typically daily intake and what sort of things do you like and then I'm sure others and myself will chip in with ideas on how to cater a healthier lifestyle for you.

Good luck

nikcola Tue 02-Aug-05 13:58:09

i eat quite a lot of bad things ie takeaways, crisps, all the things that are bad for me! i dont eat regular meals i dont like meat the only meat i like is mince im not a very good cook ,
i need to lose weight but i dont want to starve and be thinking about food all day long , what i need is somone to tell me what to eat for every meal every day like a plan then it will be esier to stick to, why does it take so long to get an appointment it makes me angry

Chandra Tue 02-Aug-05 14:17:52

Nickola! Long time no see! How are you doing? Glad to see you again

I'm not very good with healthy eating either (I obsessed about DS's food and then I end up eating anything that can be prepared in less than 5 min) so I would be watching this thread.

I think that something that really helps is not to mix proteines with carbohidrates, I believe that just by eating your meals with salad or other vegetables instead of fried chips you will see a big difference.

I have also heard that some GPs send some patients to SLiming World, but I'm not sure how that works...

nikcola Tue 02-Aug-05 14:27:11

hi Chandra , im ok thanks hows you ? x

WigWamBam Tue 02-Aug-05 14:50:17

Nikcola, would you consider something like Slimming World or Weight Watchers? They can help you with the basis of your eating plan, show you which foods you should be chosing to form a balanced diet, and give you some support while you lose the weight. Or a Rosemary Conley class, which costs about the same but you get an exercise class as well as the weigh-in.

nikcola Tue 02-Aug-05 14:54:10

hi WWB, i tryed ww and i hated it i was smaller then but still hated it , i would stick to it plus am broke, i just need that appointment but is taking ages

compo Tue 02-Aug-05 15:23:03

You could try 3 strict meal times and 2 snacks. Breakfast - muesli and fruit, Lunch - something like a chicken salad, tuna baked potato, and then tea pasta with loads of veg and a tomato based sauce. Fish, new potatos and veg too is a good healthy tea. Drink loads of water and for snacks have a low fat yoghurt or a piece of fruit.

nikcola Tue 02-Aug-05 15:32:20

the tabs the doc has given me are orlistat????? apparently i need to eat a low fat diet fgs i dont even know what a low fat diet is !

WigWamBam Tue 02-Aug-05 15:42:23

If you're taking Orlistat then you really do need to stick to a low-fat diet otherwise the side effects of the tablets will be very unpleasant.

Can you get a copy of the Rosemary Conley magazine to give you some starters? Her diet is a very low fat one. Make sure you don't add any fat to things like jacket potatoes, and keep off crisps, chocolates, pies, cakes and pastries. When you buy food, look at the nutrition label on the back, at where it tells you the fat content, and you need to be looking at less than 4 in the "per 100 grammes" column.

nikcola Tue 02-Aug-05 15:44:47

thanks hun x

bundle Tue 02-Aug-05 15:47:05

nik, the the bbc websitehas a recipe finder - you can put in an ingredient for inspiration, though can't guarantee it'll be low fat! if you like mince, why not buy some low fat mince and make your own burgers with lots of salad/buns?

nikcola Thu 04-Aug-05 12:22:46

thank you,

then tabs work they are horrible

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now