Talk

Advanced search

Binge Eating Disorder

(9 Posts)
Shout Mon 01-Aug-05 18:15:12

I would really like to know if there is anyone else out there who has manged to overcome binge eating or is struggling.

I finished my counselling nearly two months ago, I thought I'd turned the corner but I've gone off the rails again this week. My husband tries to understand but he isn't up for discussing it regularly. I am not ready to tell anyone else in my family yet.

yesmetoo Mon 01-Aug-05 18:43:53

Hi,

Just wanted to let you know you're not alone. I've been secretly bingeing since my childhood and I'm 39 now.
At present I am having counselling at the local Eating Disorders Association and it is helping. I am still binging but have made some changes to my lifestyle. My counsellor says I have made huge amounts of progress but I don't always feel I have.
Did you see the lunchtime news about binge eating/comfort eating? There's plenty of us out there but it's only in the last 10 years or so it's been recognised.
My hubby sounds the same as yours in that he tries desperately to understand and help but feels lost with it all at times.

speb Mon 01-Aug-05 18:52:41

me too. fallen off the rails after couselling last year. have a secret food stash again. feel so ashamed

Shout Mon 01-Aug-05 19:40:24

I have binged since childhood too now 35. I have also done purging for a short period.

Last year I lost 5 stone at weight warchers and got to within 5 lb of my goal and then the old habits returned on a severe scale. I was losing 5lb one week and putting on 7lb the next week.

At counselling I realised I had never tackled the eating disorder even at weightwatchers I used to save up my points and binge on rice cakes and sugar free jelly and yoghurts.

I have put nearly all the weight back on since last year ( which fuels my frustration).

I joined a gym a month ago to make a positive impact on my life and saw the the lunchtime news about binge eating.
I felt more pathetic having binged all morning and here I was using 90 cal on the treadmill. Of course I did the usual "block everything out and start tomorrow" trick which gave me license to carry on for the rest of the afternoon. I really will start being positive from now on I am so stuffed - although my clothes are going to feel so tight again after feeling loose a few weeks ago. Try and try again!

emily05 Mon 01-Aug-05 19:54:07

shout - you are not alone. This is a common problem. I can recommend Dr PHils book - weightloss challenge - not just for the diet - he writes a lot about overcoming emotional eating. x

Dior Mon 01-Aug-05 23:26:39

Message withdrawn

fimbelle Tue 02-Aug-05 10:35:39

I used to be a size 10, after my second son i was a size 12. In the past couple of years ive gone up to near 13 stone and im a size 16. Its my own fault cos when the kids are in bed the crisps and chocolate comes out. Im bigger than ive ever been in my life and i feel completely stuck in a rut. Im lucky im tall as im 5ft7 or else id probably look a lot fatter. I just feel hungry all the time and that i just cant lose weight.

Shout Tue 02-Aug-05 11:46:30

Thanks for the support.

I have gone back to writting everything I eat down, plus I have listed in my notebook all the reasons/excuses why I felt like binging.
Even the silly ones such as its been raining too much and I haven't been able to do the activities with the children I had planned to.

It is all emotional and I've started re reading chapters from my Binge eating books.

So far so good this morning.

Arabica Tue 02-Aug-05 22:59:35

There's certainly a lot of us out here--I'm still a binge eater occasionally when things get stressful or when it's easy to access sugary foods. Eating instead of having and dealing with difficult feelings is a habit that's hard to break. And the longer you've been eating in a disordered way, the harder it is to change--but people can and do get better. Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now