Talk

Advanced search

Anyone trying to lose weight BEFORE getting pregnant?

(5 Posts)
spook14 Tue 21-Jun-05 18:31:48

Is there anyone out there who wants to lose some weight before getting pregnant?
I've just had a miscarriage and am blaming being very overweight, which I know is probably not the case but hey.
Trouble is, I comfort eat and always have and right now I need to be comforted. I'm finding it hard to focus on what needs to be done to lose the weight.
I would like to chat with anyone else in a similar situation - I'm over 19 stone and have a dd who will be 3 in November. I need some encouragement!

anchovies Tue 21-Jun-05 18:50:17

Spook, so sorry to hear about your miscarriage, I'm sure you know it's unlikely your weight was involved but I know what it's like, they blamed everything on "how overweight" I was in my last pregnancy.

I was about 14 stone when I last got pg and they gave me a load of hassle about it then. I'm now 16 stone 7 so dread being weighed when/if I eventually get pregnant.

I think at the moment you should be easy on yourself. Have you thought about setting yourself a start date a few weeks away and allow yourself some time to come to terms with everything and not worry about what you're eating? I know that I am useless when I am feeling generally down without something like what you've been through recently.

But if/when you're ready I too could do with some serious motivation and encouragement!

emily05 Tue 21-Jun-05 18:57:31

HI spook. I am in the same boat (I might have put this on your other thread). I am 19 stone and 10 pounds and want another baby. My ds is 3 in August. I joined slimming world last week. SO far so good. Have done 1000 diets before (even done slimming world before) but this time I feel much more motivated because I am desperate to loose weight.
I am also reading the 'Dr Phil, weightloss challenge' book. Although I am not doing his weightloss plan, the book is all about the physcology of loosing weight and emotional eating (which is what I do, I tend to binge eat). I am also doing 10 minutes of fast walking a day. Doesnt sound much but I am building it up slowly (as I am so unfit!) and building up to an hours walking a day (a long way to go!)

Perhaps have a break because of the miscarriage. at least of a couple of months to grieve. Then start to think about ways you want to loose. weight and regain focus. Dont be too hard on yourself, one thing at a time. Are they other means other than food that you can get comfort? ((hugs to you ))

BethAndHerBrood Tue 21-Jun-05 19:47:15

I'm not dieting to specifically try for a baby, but i am in the middle of losing weight, I have quite a lot to lose, and we have talked about trying for a baby next year. I imagine if you lose weight it ticks another box in the right direction, IYSWIM!!

spook14 Wed 22-Jun-05 11:19:34

anchovies - I like your idea about giving myself some time. I had already planned to lose weight prior to getting pregnant. I had joined a gym and started listening to Paul McKennas CD. Then I got pregnant and we hadn't planned it for right now but we were both happy. I was determined not to put on too much weight and was very careful about what i was eating - not dieting as such but eating well.
Since the misscarriage that has all gone out the window!
emilyo5 - I have done Slimming World before. First time was prior to getting pregnant with my dd. I lost 3.5 stone and got down to about 15 stone. Then put on nearly 3 stone while pregnant, then rejoined and lost it all again, got back to 15 stone round about when i was weaning dd. Then I started questioning the example I was setting, not eating certain foods together etc and stopped going, only to put on all the weight I'd lost and at least another stone!
I dont know whether I want to go back to the Slimming World, all the consultants near me aren't very good!

Thanks for your replies

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now