Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How can I get into shape while I'm pregnant?

(15 Posts)
MrsDoolittle Wed 15-Jun-05 08:56:42

At the end of August dh, dd and myself are going on a trip that will include a wedding in America of one of our best friends and meeting dh's family whom I myself and dd have never met before

Anyway, my plan was to get into shape over the summer so that my dh could be proud of his gorgeous, sylph-like wife. However, much to our delight, I am pregnant, about 4 weeks.
Last night as I was undressing for bed, dh observed, "Gosh Darling, you've packed on the pounds. I don't think I have ever seen you so flabby!"
So apart from drinking hot lemon juice for breakfast what can I do now?

hoxtonchick Wed 15-Jun-05 09:22:16

have a huge row with dh for being so unsupportive? you can do quite a lot of exercise when pg i think. if you can be bothered.... swimming is good (i've managed to go once since i found out i was pg, am now 36 weeks). actually, i'm the worst person in the world to be advising you!

compo Wed 15-Jun-05 09:24:19

at your insensitive dh. I would huddle under the duvet with cookies and refuse to go see his family with him!!!
Diet wise - can you just cut back on all the crap. If you're anything like me though all I wanted to eat as stodge in early pregnancy!

starlover Wed 15-Jun-05 09:24:35

omg! i would kill dp if he EVER said anything like that to me!!!

agree about the swimming... but don't do it just cos he said so!

MrsDoolittle Wed 15-Jun-05 09:57:46

That's just it, at the moment I'm hungry for all the things I shouldn't be eating!
But swimming is a good idea
I guess I have to cut out any treats.

Mosschops30 Wed 15-Jun-05 09:59:29

Message withdrawn

compo Wed 15-Jun-05 09:59:48

Tbh I would concentrate on looking for the perfect maternity outfit for the wedding so you feel good about yourself and leave the dieting now as early pregnancy is such a hard time to try and tackle it

compo Wed 15-Jun-05 10:00:18

snap Mosschops

expatinscotland Wed 15-Jun-05 10:00:41

I do prenatal yoga and am starting an aquafit class for preggos. But not b/c hubby made rude comments to me - b/c I'd like to be in good shape for labour and delivery.

MrsDoolittle Wed 15-Jun-05 10:06:02

I can't really justify a maternity outfit for the wedding as I will only be about 12-13 weeks.

I should point out that this is not because dh pointed this out to me but because I want to. I lost weight when I stopped breast feeding dd at 7 months and I have felt great for the early part of this year. But the weight is creeping back on and this time with a soft tummy that wasn't there before. I'm starting to dislike myself again and it doesn't feel good.

However, I do think that some of this negativity os because I know I have been slipping recently and I think I am going to have to get tough with myself again.

Hell, I don't want to end up like my mother! Lovely as she is

Nightynight Wed 15-Jun-05 10:10:35

Do lots of exercise, and cut out cakes and sweets! (It worked for me)

aloha Wed 15-Jun-05 10:17:24

Do you think some of the negativity may come from trying to live up to the unrealistic and unpleasant expectations of your husband? After all, you were OK until he came out with that very nasty comment the other night.
If my husband spoke to me like that when I was pregnant I would have been extremely upset. Is he an absolutely perfect physical specimen in every way?
You cannot always help the way your body reacts to pregnancy. Look at Liz Hurley and Catherine Zeta Jones. It's the way they are made. He should be proud of you ANYWAY. You aren't his latest toy to show off like a sports car or a new watch, you are a person. And a pregnant person.
What on earth does it matter to him what his family think of your body??? What does he think they will think? After all, they are hardly bloody central to his life if they have never met you or your child. Oooooh, this DOES make me cross!

MrsDoolittle Wed 15-Jun-05 10:32:44

You might be right aloha. But then it may be me just being overly sensitive too, I really don't think he had any idea of the implications of what he said.
Weight has always been an issue with me and think more likely it stem from 'big' sister thing. I mean my brother affectionately calls me large one.

It bothers me less as I have got older and before my little girl was born I worked hard to stay in shape. I think it's just my priorities have changed since dd was born. I think I have become complacent being loved by my husband.
I mean he did have to work hard last night to persuade me back into our bed as I was climbing into the spare bed!!

aloha Wed 15-Jun-05 10:55:27

Glad you made him work for it!
Isn't it a good thing to feel relaxed in the company of your partner? And the important thing is here, you are pregnant - you will gain weight and that's totally normal. He really, really should back off with any negative comments at all. My dh is a normal, straightforward, blunt Yorkshireman and he wouldn't dream of saying anything like that, he really wouldn't. Comments about your physical appearance should be limited to 'you look absolutely beautiful today' etc.
And that goes double if he knows you are sensitive about your weight.
You are fine. You are pregnant!

MrsDoolittle Wed 15-Jun-05 11:12:20

Thank you aloha!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now