Talk

Advanced search

what's the point? nothing ever works...

(5 Posts)
justgaveup Tue 27-Oct-09 12:09:25

Am so fed up. In the last 4 weeks, I have had swine flu for 2 wks which included 9 days (!!) of diorrhea and vomiting. I then joined Slimming World and have 2 weeks sticking to diet totally, have written everything down and KNOW i've done it. During those 2 weeks I've also been out running 5 times (3 miles each time). In those 4 weeks I've lost 1lb.

Yesterday I went for a meal, not even a massive meal, chicken wrap and chips. Woke up today and am 2lb heavier than I was before I got ill 4 weeks ago.

I don't understand.

- less calories - yep, done that with the diorrhea
-less calories, more exercise - yep, done that
- not starving myself - yep, done that with the slimming world

None of it worked.

The doc said he is also baffled, he said it might be my anti depressants affecting my metabolism so I came off them - made no difference.
The doc said it might be my thyroid - had it checked - all clear.

I'm 4 stone overweight and considered medically obese (although I should add I'm a size 16/18 so whilst yeah i'm big, i'm not that big)

I'm so fed up and depressed and sick to death of feeling huge, trying so hard and failing miserably.

sorry, not really expecting any answers...just needed to get it off my chest.

MenWhoStareAtMe Tue 27-Oct-09 12:17:29

don't give up. it is early days. discount the sickness, it is not a reliable weight loss plan! give it 3 months solid and then come back and complain!

boodeniites Tue 27-Oct-09 12:30:21

how old are you ?i find the older i get the harder it is to shift it i lost all my weight about 9 years ago and put it all back on stupid stupid now i cant move it either i am 46 and a size 18 and morbidly obese apparantly hmm to lose the weight initially it coincided with me becomeing a vegetarian would you be willing to try that?

sixfoldwaitingtime Tue 27-Oct-09 12:33:30

Try Paul McKenna - I used to eat well and exercise furiously, and still never shift much weight at all. Like you, I had the blood tests, the thyroid checks and so on.

But I've been doing his plan (i.e. listening to the self-hypnosis CD a few times a week) since June, and have gone down from a size 16 to a 12 without having to stress about it. I have no idea how it works, but it does.

mylovelymonster Tue 27-Oct-09 12:57:45

I don't think you've given yourself a chance yet, and you shouldn't feel frustrated so early on.
Bloody good for you that you really want to do something! That's the first hurdle. If you had swine flu with all the awful intestinal problems associated with that, perhaps your body is still recovering from that and is in some kind of shock and storing your calories in response to the dreadful illness. You need to recover fully, on a healthy diet with plenty of water and fruit & veg to get your vits & minerals.
Then start your fitness plan up again as you feel better and stronger.
Do you really enjoy running? A lovely long walk every day would be more pleasant, no? I always found strenuous exercise a chore, unenjoyable, and if I didn't do it I would get into a cycle of feeling really negative about myself, so found it self-defeating. Also, after strenuous exercise I was always really hungry and I'm sure ate way more in calories than I was ever burning off, so although a good work-out for my heart and lungs, was achieving nothing as far as weight management!
Cycling is good too - in a big park or cycle paths, if you have anything near you - bike hire/country park? Swimming/aqua-aerobics really good fun too. (Most pools do multi-tickets that work out cheaper than the single visit price).

The type of food and how much of it you eat really key too - go for low GI foods which are much slower to release their calories so your body feels energised for longer. You should be eating wholegrains for breakfast - porridge made with skimmed milk and a spoon of honey would be great.
look here

How long did it take to put on your excess weight? Over a long period of time, I would think, so it is going to take some time to change your habits and your body's reaction to these to allow you to start making a difference. More realistic goal setting is key - if you want to say lose a stone in the first six months, that's just over two pounds a month. If it's more or less then not a problem - if you make a big chart you will see your overall progress over time.

You deserve to be easier on yourself and give yourself a break! The bottom line is, no-one can do this for you but yourself, but you should ask your GP for advice and also maybe referral to a nutritionist/dietician who can really get you on the right track. It's knowing what you should be doing that's key.

Wishing you lots of luck x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now