Talk

Advanced search

Is it worth asking GP for 'Alli'? Please talk to me.

(12 Posts)
Disenchanted3 Mon 26-Oct-09 14:07:42

I'm going to the GP this afternoon for an unrelated reason but have been thinking about bringing up my weight.

I'm really worried though as its a GP I've never met before (think its a man) and you never know what kind of attitude they will have towards it.

My DD is almost 1 and Im still over 2 stone over weight, its affecting me greatly especially menatally (Ive not gone to 2 MAJOR social events in the last month because of it) but have a bit of a food addiction but my dislike of my current figure isn't a great enough insentive to break my bad habits.

But if I was on the Alli pills I wouldn't have a choice, I would have to stick to it! And the thoguht of going back to the GP and them seeing if any weight had been lost would be a great incentive i think.

My NHS BMI is 30 and 'obese' so do you think they will allow me to have the tablets?

If they refuse on the NHS can I ask for a private prescription?

And how much are they?!

Stigaloid Mon 26-Oct-09 14:12:05

Why wouldn't you have a choice on Alli pills?

The only real way to lose weight is will power, time, patience and exercise. You start gradually, do a little more exercise each day, cut out one bad thing a week, and slowly, slowly the weight comes off. A pill won't make the difference.

i was obese when i was 18. ended up going the other way and was very underweight but returned to a normal helthy weight and have stayed that way over the last 16 years. The only thing that works is time, healthy eating (80% good/20% treats) and exercise.

Good luck

Disenchanted3 Mon 26-Oct-09 14:15:28

because if i ate fat you get the runs, so i would think 'oh hang on ... dont wanna collet the kids with poo running down my legs ... best stick to a salad'

grin

I just mean, to me, it will feel like ive started somethhing officially and with the GP monitoring my weight whilst on them Im more likely to suceed.

I cylce for 1- . hours everyay an have no car so walk everywhere else - excercise isn't an issue.

PacificWerewolfwoohood Mon 26-Oct-09 14:18:31

Alli (60mg Orlistat) is available over the counter.

Xenical (120mg Orlistat) is prescription only. Here is more info about it.

Stigaloid Mon 26-Oct-09 14:19:09

Definitely speak to your GP. They may not prescribe pills but will happily provide a healthy diet plan for you and monitor your weight if you request it.

Good luck.

Disenchanted3 Mon 26-Oct-09 14:28:00

I wouldn't be able to afford it over the counter. The private prescription would depend on how many tablets they give you for the price of 1 prescription.

I may as well ask like you say, thanks

PacificWerewolfwoohood Mon 26-Oct-09 16:34:10

If you meet the criteria locally that entitle you to it, you should have it prescribed on the NHS. Ideally it should be part of a wider "weight management program", here that means automatic referral to dietician for dietary advice and regular weigh-in.
IME, it works, like you said yourself, when people who take it are so terrified of unpleasant sideeffects when they do NOT stick to a low fat diet that they stick to a good low fat intake and therefore lose weight. To be honest, my professional experience (GP) has not been great. I have never taken it myself (not too bothered about my flab wink).

Good luck to you, hope it works for you.
smile

Disenchanted3 Mon 26-Oct-09 18:42:39

Said no.

Come back in 3 months

PacificWerewolfwoohood Mon 26-Oct-09 19:10:19

hmm

That's all I'm saying...

Stigaloid Thu 29-Oct-09 11:55:53

Did he/she arrange a diet plan with you? arrange to put you in touch with a dietician? if not - go back and ask to see another GP for a second opinion as even if they won't prescribe drugs they should certainly take your BMI into account and create a support system for you losing weight. Not tell you to go away and come back later. Def find a better dr and ask to be put in touch with a dietician.

EeyoreIsFab Sun 08-Nov-09 21:53:52

shock here too.

I went to my GP last week & brought up my weight issue. He was very helpful, booking my an appointment with dietician, advising me to get an exercise bike and prescribing 1 months of Orlistat. (I'm also in 'obese' range)

sowhatis Mon 09-Nov-09 16:43:51

What about Slimming World or WW ?? I think the Dr can give you something to give to them so its free to go??

xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now